Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpepete

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
io_burn, about a year ago I was watching one of these late night open university programs on GUI design. It was all about optimising GUI design and they were testing many different GUI models with a test user group.

They concluded that the best GUI for the future will be exactly as you described, they showed this interactive 3D virtual desktop that allows you to see all other files and quickly access them as you would on a real world desk.

This Uni doing this GUI research was in the US, I forget the name but I do remember the program thinking it will be a long time before we see that type of GUI. :)

Pete

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Originally posted by wdlove
Thank you for the view into 10.4. So code name is to be "Ocelot." Well maybe I can get my name on the 10.5 "Tiger."

Get MacOS X 10.2 Server. It's codenamed "Tigger". :D *bounce*

Originally posted by rdowns
Ocelot? I was willing to buy the story until that popped up. After using two of the most powerful feline names- Jaguar and Panther, Apple is going to go with an Ocelot? Geesh, it's an overgrown house cat.

While I don't know whether to believe io_burn's story or not, the fact that he describes an early alpha makes the codename "Ocelot" possible, don't you think (a small cat for an early development stage)?!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by io_burn
I didn't name any names. :)

Right, you didn't. But you gave a very good job description and that he was on vacation recently. I could imagine that they easily figure out who it is and then maybe he gets in trouble.

Anyhow - hope your not just kidding. Sounds awesome.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Lying

There is no way he is telling the truth. Number 1, Apple Security is not that lax.

Number 2 is even more important. He said that it would be coming around LongHorn. Steve has told us it would be released in Fall of THIS year (as Panther was last year).

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Sounds too tricky to use. As long as my screen remains 2D, I don't want a 3D desktop. Hope this is not real.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
Sounds pretty neat. There's no telling whether it's true or not.

I would bet that even if this is a total fabrication, it's probably a pretty good estimation of things to come. Apple is going to have the fastest computer made soon, and it would be great if they offered a GUI option that made XP look "straight out of 1984".

In order to push a gui like this, you need a G5 with a 64-bit OS. I bet this GUI (giving benefit of doubt) is being developed along side 10.4 and 10.5, with the intent of implementation contingent on future system performance.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
If we belive or not... it makes no differents.
The story was pretty cool and it was fun to read it. If it´s true then fine, if not it doesn´t matter.

I think 10.4 will be great in this way, or in a nother and it will be better than longhorn for sure.

I don´t think that the codename has something to do with the release name.
As release name, "Gepard" would be cool.

Jaguar -> Panther -> Gepard
fast -> faster -> fastest

Dave

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
This would be VERY cool and almost sounds the same as Project Looking Glass from Sun. http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

You can watch a demo of that by clicking on the Demo link, although it is in RealMedia format :rolleyes:

Sun Microsystems' latest innovations by its Advanced Software Technology Team will make these "what-ifs" a reality for the desktop of the near future. Code-named Project Looking Glass, these Java technology-based developments will bring 3D windowing capabilities to the desktop to offer a far richer user experience for work and play. But, it's not only about looks, it's about creating an engaging user experience, one that can make communications and collaboration even easier.

I1_looking_glass_lg.jpg

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by Dave187
I don´t think that the codename has something to do with the release name.
As release name, "Gepard" would be cool.

Jaguar -> Panther -> Gepard
fast -> faster -> fastest

Dave

Don't want to shatter your dreams, but Gepard is German and means Cheetah in English, which has already been a release name of OS X...

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by Veldek
Gepard is German and means Cheetah in English, which has already been a release name of OS X...

sorry I didn´t know...
I´m sure apple will find a good name.

Dave

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I consider that IBM is less secretive than Apple. When I had an early release of one of their operating systems, I had to keep it at work, behind locked doors, away from windows, and to myself per the non-disclosure agreement, I seriously doubt that Apple is allowing people to carry the thing out of the building to allow it to be shown to other people.

That said, Apple has worked on a 3D desktop (Project X, Hot Cocoa) for Mac OS 8.x, 9.x already. Would it be a stretch that they would be continuing to daydream about this? The current Finder already has little hints at 3D and certainly, the compositing layer uses OpenGL in Quartz Extreme so it's not a big deal to put a value in the z-axis and give it some depth.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i dont believe it. people that high up in apple arent dumb enough to walk around with a laptop with alpha operating systems, and if they did happen to have it then woudnt be dumb enough to show it to their old grade school buddy.

iJon

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
i dont believe it. people that high up in apple arent dumb enough to walk around with a laptop with alpha operating systems, and if they did happen to have it then woudnt be dumb enough to show it to their old grade school buddy.

iJon

i'm with you... the story is big-time fantasy - and sounds almost exactly like Sun's Looking Glass. no sale.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by bousozoku

That said, Apple has worked on a 3D desktop (Project X, Hot Cocoa) for Mac OS 8.x, 9.x already. Would it be a stretch that they would be continuing to daydream about this? The current Finder already has little hints at 3D and certainly, the compositing layer uses OpenGL in Quartz Extreme so it's not a big deal to put a value in the z-axis and give it some depth.

I am convinced Apple must be 'playing around' with 3D GUI ideas, but that doesn't mean it is going to be used, especially if it is not more intuitive than the current solutions.

I think there is two big problems with 3D for GUI's: First, navigation. People need to learn how to move in space or manipulate objects, and they can also get lost. This might not be an issue for your average gamer kid, but other demographics might find it more challenging.
A popular misconception of 3D is that you 'gain' much more space to work in. In reality, you are still limited by your computer screen. 2D will always make better use of this space than some 3D projection, and perspective distorts windows information, you lose clarity. If you want to add more 'virtual screen space', then you can do it in 2D, too.

And second: data becomes more difficult to read the more information it contains. 2D is usually more efficient than 3D to display clear information because there is less 'overlap'. A good old example: the most efficient UI for a 'shooter' game would be a top 2D view, where you click on the enemy to kill them. It would not be as fun as UT2K, but way more deadly. Another example are filing systems: I have not seen a single 3D filing system that is easier/faster to use than 2D ones. Some people might be looking for a more entertaining way to interact with their machine, but probably not when they have to get work done.

I really like the way Apple has introduced some depth to the finder, with the subtle drop shadows and re-arrangement of windows under expose. But they work more in terms of layers than actual 3D space, which IMHO is the way to go. There is still a lot that could be done in this direction (stacks of windows that minimize to the desktop etc.), and I am sure that Apple will surprise us with some exciting new ideas in future...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by bitfactory
i'm with you... the story is big-time fantasy - and sounds almost exactly like Sun's Looking Glass. no sale.
no kidding, we couldnt even get a leaked copy of garageband or find out what it was about before macworld, now there is the world changing 3d deskspace gui controlled by a trackball that a friend from grade school showed him.

iJon

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12

I1_looking_glass_lg.jpg
[/B]

Thank you for the link, BlingBling 3k12. That would be an awesome desktop, the 3D is really cool. I imagine that would use a lot of processor power & memory.

vinow, I think that titaniumducky like myself is going on the recent history of Apple. After all Steve did say "that there is a lot more coming throughout the year."

:cool:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: Lying

Originally posted by titaniumducky
There is no way he is telling the truth. Number 1, Apple Security is not that lax.

Number 2 is even more important. He said that it would be coming around LongHorn. Steve has told us it would be released in Fall of THIS year (as Panther was last year).

So are we going to have to pony up more cash for the new OS? Is this definetly happening each year now as a revenue stream for Apple?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Lying

Originally posted by aswitcher
So are we going to have to pony up more cash for the new OS? Is this definetly happening each year now as a revenue stream for Apple?
its not like your forced to buy it every year. if you dont want it dont buy it, simple as that, no need to complain.

iJon

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: Re: Re: Lying

Originally posted by iJon
its not like your forced to buy it every year. if you dont want it dont buy it, simple as that, no need to complain.

iJon

I am not sure that I am complaining...but I disagree its a simple as buy or don't buy, when updates for other software then start only being written for the latest OS release or perhaps the last two. I just want to know if this is what Apple are going to do. Its not allot of money if the features continue to come in quantity to my mind but I would prefer to know this is their business model than guess when and why we might see updates. Does anyone know if Apple have declared anything?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I agree it sounds just like Project Looking Glass. There's no denying that most of that could quite easily be implemented into Mac OS X - most of the technology is already there in Quartz and Quartz Extreme.

One thing though.. brushed metal is gone? Yeah right. I can really see that happening, the way everything has been going recently. :D

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
3DOSX exists now and is available on MacUpdate. Which is why io_burn's post is nothing radical - especially for an OS 3 years away.
I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned it.

Anyone who's seen it could quite easily predict it for inclusion in an upcoming OSX.

I found it quite difficult to use and trashed it from my system. I also saw and used something similar on Windows a year or two back - and had the same issues.

I really don't think this approach to 3D desktops has a future. But if anyone can pull it off - Apple could.

Here's the link on MacUpdate:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11560

Here's a link to more screenshots:

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/macwarriors/projects/3dosx/screenshots.html

And here's a screen shot. Pretty radical, eh?!

Attachments

• 3dosxcinema.jpg
    3dosxcinema.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 610
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.