Got a used iPhone 4???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Javad04, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Javad04 macrumors newbie

So I picked up my iPhone 4 on wednesday from yorkdale mall in toronto. The phone was brand new, sealed. Went through procedure and got it activated normally. Everything was smooth.

I'm going through settings app. And look at the usage screen. And I see that call life time has been 8 days and 5 hours. There's even been data usage on there. 10 megs sent and 200 megs received. I got my iphone on wed and it is now sunday. I have used the phone for 5 days. So impossible right and this has to be a returned phone..correct?

So my concern is this, am I wrong in thinking I paid for a new phone and should thus receive one?

I should mention I got the phone through an upgrade and did not buy it out right. I am with Rogers. I actually called rogers and they said go to the apple store.

Thanks guys.

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

3. Javad04 thread starter macrumors newbie

hold on...is that possible? the iphone would show previous history of my previous iphones?

is that possible?

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You restored from a backup of an older phone. That's the way it works.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yes. Look at the date on the bottom of the usage screen. It lists the date you last reset it. Mine says Oct 15, 2008. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a used iPhone :rolleyes:.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

When you replace an old iPhone with a new one and sync it in iTunes, the most natural thing to do is to let iTunes set up your new iPhone as whatever name you gave your old one.. That means that it will by default copy all the data from your most recent back-up of your old iPhone over to the new one.

The best part about that is, Apple doesn't actually recommend you do it when the iPhone you are moving to is a newer model. Of course if you do set it up as a new iPhone, you can still sync all your media content - music, video, apps.. but you will lose all app data specific to your use of those apps previously - passwords, high-scores, texts, basically any data created by your using the apps.

7. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Where does it say Apple doesn't recommend restoring from an old iPhone please?

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

That's easy. Go to a Genius Bar with your iPhone, complain about anything.. ;)

9. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Ha. The reason I ask is that I backed up from my 3GS, and I've had no problems at all. :)

10. Javad04 thread starter macrumors newbie

im sorry but that does not make sense. When I restore from back up, it should never show the call lifetime as the phone has never been used. Even data usage, I've never had a data prev to iPhone 4.

I've never reset the stats either.

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

That's the way it is. I restored my 3GS from my latest 3G backup when I bought it and the call timers were all copied too. It is hereby decreed so per Lord Jobs.

12. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Your data may have been caused by the phone using 3G to randomly check things like email or other push notifications.

My usage stats showed 0 data used when I go it, but a day laster it showed like 10KB. I never used 3G during the time.

13. nasa25 macrumors 65816

My new iPhone 4 shows 4 days of call time.

Although the 4 days represents the total usage of every iPhone I've owned, from the original to the iPhone 4.

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

You're not using it right. :)

15. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Ditto!

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

So you would rather believe that a brand new sealed phone from the Apple Store is somehow used?:confused: