Got a wierd error message when using BootCamp.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GregUofMN, Jun 19, 2008.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Hi All--

I tried to re-partition my HD. (A few threads back I mentioned that I tried to expand my existing Vista partition on my MBP only to delete the entire thing.) Now when I try to create a partition, I get this error message...

THE DISK CANNOT BE PARTITIONED BECAUSE SOME FILES CANNOT BE MOVED.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

My questions are:
    -What the hell does this mean?
    -How do I do it?
    -Is it going to complete erase my Mac HD and I'm going to have to re-install my programs and data? I backed up my critical stuff, but regardless, I'm hoping that it won't erase my Mac side.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

uhh, if you partition you mac hd, and something happens on you vista partition, it shouldn't affect you mac os at all. now as far as the error message, what i say to do, erase the vista partiton and make you mac hd whole again with one partition. (mac) Then run bootcamp setup assistant again and start from scratch. btw, for the heck of it, clean the dvd that your using vista with. it probably isn't the problem but i've seen that same error with a bad install disk too.