Got a Windows Update Late Last Night-- now Grey screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gadgetfreaky, Sep 14, 2012.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

It never boots up into windows.

just says " a disk read error occurred
    use ctl alt delete to start

i tried using f2 or f8 to get access ot the bios but it doesnt seem to work.
    any ideas to resolve?
    this just randomly happened

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Which version of Windows are you using and what kind of computer are you running it on?

3. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a macbook pro 2012 17 incher
    with a windows 7 boot camp partition

i sorta feel like it is not recognizing the SSD
    basically I was browsing the internet, suddenly lost internet...then next thing you know the whole thing crashed. and it would not reboot.

I'm not sure if the SSD has gone "bad" or not but I'd love to get all my music nad files

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you can boot into OS X, you should be able to access your files on the Windows partition. Also, you can use Disk Utility to get an idea of what's going on with your SSD, if there is a problem with it.

5. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think the ssd is fried. not sure how i cna get the files off because can't even get into mac os

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I would suggest try boot from Linux live CD and see if you can access the files that way.

7. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't boot into OS X -- it's odd when I boot and hit options it seems to see that there is a boot camp and a os x partion but I can't really boot into it.

----------

When one boots into boot camp-- is there a function key you use to see advanced options-- allow me to see if it sees teh SSD /change boot options etc?

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

As I've said previously, try download and burning a version of Ubuntu and see if booting from the CD will allow you access to your files.

Also, you may try booting from your OS X disk and accessing Disk Utility from there to get an idea of the state that your SSD is in.

I'm sorry to say, you cannot access your boot options without boot into OS X or Windows to access their respective Startup system preference/control panel.