Got an "E" instead of the gprs dot / 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Yakuza, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Hey y'all

Ok, so my iPhone 3G for a while now, as been showing an E in the place where the gprs dot is, or the 3G.

Does anyone knows what the E stands for?, and i noticed that is also making a lot of interference, in the car it affects the radio, here in the job the monitor is always flickering, other than that it works normally.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its the EDGE network.

3. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

EDGE or EGPRS.

Enhanced General Packet Data Service (or something like it). It has better data speeds than GPRS but not as fast as UMTS and HSDPA.

GSM (which EDGE and GPRS runs on) can interfere with amplifiers.

4. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Is it activated automaticaly? It's the network that make the changes?

I'm asking this because the iPhone is gonna make 1 year this december, and i don't remenber having this E, it was always the dot.

5. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

You don't have to worry, all phones uses the best available network depending on your location. If it detects GPRS, it'll use it. Same with EDGE (since its better than GPRS) and UMTS (the replacement of GSM).

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's done auto, as the poster above said, but how often have you only had the dot this past year, because it truly sucks to be on GPRS for any amount of time?

7. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Never had de E, that i can remember, but since late september early october, i've noticed that it came up, it was exactly the time i've change the work place (was in a kinda -1 floor one windowless room lolol) and the network was very pour sometimes non! Now i'm in a 11th floor, the last floor of the building, that's when i started to noticed every time i went there the E came up, i thought at the time that was some kind of coincidence, but guess not.

Also heard that my cell phone network was enhancing the broadband power, could that cause this kind of "update" from gprs to Edge? here at home it's in gprs mode

8. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Probably, but, you don't have to worry, you can still call and send/receive SMS. :D

9. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

ohh yeah!! :D

not worried at all, it works fine! sms/mms, all the way:D:D

it was just curiosity.

thank you all for clarifying that!

10. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712