Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ojaysimsanson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I bought a full HD display for my macbook pro. The display is second to none with great beautiful colors. However, I have ran to a problem.
If I mirror displays, I can tell I am loosing a lot of picture quality, I have to downgrade from 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 800, and the difference is very significant to me, I can easily tell.
So I obviously decided to not used mirror displays, now here is my problem number 2:
Now that I have a continuos desktop, is there anyway of defaulting my apps so they will pop up on the external display, instead of having to drag them all over everytime, and is there any possible way of putting another dock on this external display?
Thank you very much for all your help.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
What I did was just move the menu bar to the external display, making it the primary display, where all of the apps will open by default, and the dock is there as well.

racedude

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Carmel, IN
How did you go about doing so?

Go under your Displays in System Preferences, their should be an option for something like layout (not exactly sure of the name), and it should show both of your screens where you can drag them around. Try dragging the menu bar on the screen of your MBP to the external screen by just dragging the grey bar across the top of the layout preview to the other monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.