Got an external hard drive for Christmas.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by callandor1000, Jan 10, 2010.

1. callandor1000 macrumors newbie

Got a Western Digital My Passport Essential 320 GB HD for Christmas. Would like to use it. Box says formatted NTFS for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Requires reformatting for Mac OS X Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard.

I have Mac OS 10.4.11. How do I make it so that I can use this Hard Drive. Only plan to use it for back up and additional storage. I don't know anything about using external Hard Drives. Please, oh please, help!

2. ptsube macrumors 6502

Open disk utility. Select the drive in the left pane. Select partition, and create a new partition. Make sure you select Mac OS Extended(Journaled) as the format. Also make sure you go in to options and select GUID.

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Plug it in, go to disk utility and format.

Easy!

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

That's a much better idea.

If you're going to be using it with Windows, you'll have to partition it.

Notice that you won't be able to "see the files" on the Mac OS X partition from Windows.

5. callandor1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

Now I can unplug this and go as often as I want, right?

6. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

What do you mean by "go". If you have ever used a USB flash memory stick then it's the same concept. You just eject the hard drive and then unplug it. Plug it back in when you need it. Hopefully that has answered your question.

7. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Right; never unplug a hard drive, especially one with platters, while it's in the middle of a read/write operation; eject the drive by dragging its icon to the trash can.