Got an iMac for my parents, quick questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Anaxarxes, May 17, 2008.

1. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

hey guys

I just got an iMac for my folks, the base model. I installed 4GB of RAM into it and right now Finer is indexing...

I noticed a weird thing since I first run it. The speakers continue to produce a weird static beeping after a system alert sound or a music file is played. The beeping stays there for 20-25 seconds and then disappears. Annoying.

When I connect the iMac to my Logitech 2.1 system though, it's perfectly fine.

Could it be bad grounding on the case or embedded speakers? My parents are going to use it with their own 4.1 sound setup anyways but I would like to know what is causing the problem.

Thank you and since this is my firs Mac purchase - although it's not for me, I'll wait for another year to get my own MBP - Apple rocks, I love this machine!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Make sure you don't have any cordless phones, power lines, other wireless-type gear in the immediate vicinity. If you're clear on that score, then a call to AppleCare might be in order.

3. Anaxarxes thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know why it's acting like this... I'm gonna call Apple Care...

Sucks for the first impression:eek:

4. Italchef macrumors 6502

Are you sure that you don't have a cell phone beside the computer? That sounds like the beeping you get when your cell phone is too close.

Mick

5. Anaxarxes thread starter macrumors regular

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lol well dont tell ur friends who owns pcs that then they'll be all macs suck like at my school they have the first intel server and basically its realllyyyy slow and some kids just like mac sucks and doesnt even realize its the flippin server not the computer itself so he angers me to bits and there greatly equipped

7. Icarus73 macrumors regular

that entire post was a fragment. you should look into using periods. it would make your posts much easier to understand and read.

8. Anaxarxes thread starter macrumors regular

I just returned the iMac and they swapped it with a new one in 15 minutes. Apple just got a new level of respect from me. Customer service is unbelievably smooth and they apologized a million times that this happened to me after asking me if this is my first mac - yes it is.

I'm just happy! :)