Got an interview for the state, question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by angemon89, Mar 5, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Do you guys think its unreasonable to ask my current supervisor to be a reference for a job I'm applying to? I currently work for Target as a minimum wage laborer (lol) and have already gotten an interview to work for the State of CA transportation administration(Caltrans) as a student assistant. Obviously something like this is pretty big for me and could be a huge stepping stone. I only want to put my current supervisor as a reference because I feel like she knows me the best and knows how hard working I am etc, and I really want this job. I have worked for Target for 1.5 years and feel like I need to move on, and it's not like I'm gonna work for Target forever. Do you guys think I should ask her? The only other people I can think of asking to be my references are some of my current professors, but I also really want to put someone who knows my working style.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does your boss know you are interviewing?

i wouldnt have your interviewing company contact your present work unless you are prepared to be fired once they know of your plans

id use a prof or or a past job before target

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In CA they cannot just fire you for looking for a new job, but they can make things so tough that you will basically quit or wind up screwing up and get fired. If you want someone out there are tons of ways to do it ... legally. But asking for a rec .. yeah not so much.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea depends on the state....most places i have lived, the state was "at will" concerning employment

5. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Wow, I didn't know theres a chance I could be fired just for looking for a new job. My supervisor is really nice and we get along well, and I don't think she would make my life hell just because I was looking for a new job. Plus, she's the type of person who wants me to succeed and if I were to leave, my position could be filled in no time. It's an entry level inventory job.

That being said, what do you guys think now? I have no prior work experience to Target, I'm only 19 and its been the only job I've ever had so I can't put any past supervisors or employers.

If need be, I could just ask a couple of my professors who know me well. But then again they don't necessarily know my work ethic.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As an ex-employer that respected my employees success I would say tell her you have an opportunity to further yourself with the state then see what she says.

If Target starts to harass you go directly to the state labor and industries dept. and tell them.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

All employers that I know, would feel the same way. It creates a positive atmosphere in the work place and makes it easy to find replacements when current workers move on to bigger and better positions.

When I am in an employer position, my only request is that they let me know they are looking for a job. I do not like to be blind-sided by a reference call.

To the OP, I am sure that there are exceptions out there so keep your head on the swivel. However, from what you have said, she sounds like she will be okay with it.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I figure because it of the type of work you do for Target they know it is only a temporary thing. They expect you to move on to bigger and better things. I would ask the person at Target honesty it use you best judgment on how they would react.

WHen I worked for a grocery store my supervisor would of been a great reference and knows that most of the people under her would be leaving for better jobs after wards.

Hell I turned in a two week noticed and worked to the very end. They let me work the last 2 weeks and even got extra hours the last week.

9. n8236 macrumors 65816

In the OP's case, I also do believe it's acceptable to let your current employer know you are moving on to bigger things.

But before you do that, do consider the following. Is your position vital (management level and up?) If that's the case, you may want to avoid telling your employer. if your post is easily replaced, your boss will understand.

Regardless of how close you are to your boss, employers, plain and simple do not like people trying to leave while still on the job because it shows them that you're not committed and is a distraction.

But since your current and future job is so different, it should acceptable. Do tell your employer than you are starting a career with Caltrans doing watever, so it doesn't come off like you're leaving the place just for money (even though it may be).

10. n8236 macrumors 65816

Plain and simple, just don't burn any bridges :)

11. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Nope, I don't have a management position. Its entry level.

And I'm not leaving for the money, I'm leaving for the experience. I would imagine being an intern for the state of CA would look good on my resume, and I'd probably only be making like a buck or two more per hour.

Hmm, I think I will ask some co-workers what they think I should do. Although, I probably will end up asking my supervisor anyway because its something I think she wont mind. We get along really well and she even wrote me a letter of recommendation for a scholarship last week!

12. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Get a copy of that, cross off every instance of the word 'scholarship', replace it with 'job for the state of california'.

ie: I highly recommend angemon89 for the 'job for the state of california'. He has worked hard bringing deals to the great people of Sacremento, and in my opinion, deserves this 'job for the state of california'. etc.

All set!

13. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

I think her being a reference should be enough because I already know they are for sure going to call her if they're to consider me for this internship.

Anyway, last night I asked 2 of my supervisors and they were both completely fine with me trying to get an internship. I can't believe I was so worried about asking them!

I also asked my accounting professor to be a reference and she's in too! I really hope I get this.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm not from the US but surely two things are true that prevent this. Firstly, companies very rarely contact current employers and secondly, firing an employee because they are looking for another job! In the land of lawsuits, surely there is something to prevent this sort of unfair dismissal.

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

You would be surprised how common it is to fire an employee when the employer finds out they are looking. The reason is usually proprietary information and trade secrets. This is much more common on the management level then in skilled or unskilled trades, though. In many jobs, "two weeks notice" does not really exist. Do you know how much information can be mined from a business in two weeks?

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That is what "Gardening" leave is for.

17. theheadguy macrumors 65816

So did you get it? I work for CA in Sac too... Just curious...

18. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

When I was working for Wal-Mart (where I worked for over two years while in school) and looking for another job. I told my supervisor that I was looking and asked her if I could use her as a reference. Since she liked me she agreed. Even though now she is always trying to talk me into coming back part time when I am in the store I think she and others there are happy that I was able to move on and do something that I really enjoy.

I would think the same would be true with you and your supervisor. Just be up front about it.