Got an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tina6547, Apr 23, 2011.

1. tina6547 macrumors newbie

Hey y'all. I had a Droid and just got eligible for an upgrade with Verizon... I decided to switch to iPhone. I expected to be completely thrilled with the phone and have no regrets, but to be honest I am a little conflicted. And some of the limitations I have run into are really important features to me it seems. Gmail on iPhone sucks... no threaded messages and other limitations to the mail app. The maps application does not have turn-by-turn navigation. I can't use voice search to do things like I have become so accustomed to. I am not writing this as a bash of iPhones but just trying to make clear what I am specifically disappointed with. Theres more things but those are the really important ones to me ): Does anyone have any suggestions how I can improve my iPhone experience? Is there ANY way I can set up gmail with threaded messages? Also I cannot Archive gmail msgs from the email app (I set it up as a exchange acct so it would be able to have push notifications) which really disappoints me. Any way I can get voice navigation on the maps app? Any way to get voice app on the iPhone so I can perform things like on Android (for example I could say "Navigate to: Location" and it would automatically start Maps and do it. I could say search for something and it would do it. etc). I guess what I am trying to say is, convince me why I should stay at the iPhone and tell me how it is better than Android and why I should want it... and tell me things you like about iPhone over Android or prefer to make me change my mind.

ipad2 accessories
    ipad 2 keyboard
    ipad 2 stand
    [​IMG]

2. Ommid macrumors 6502

No one is going to convince you :D

Ferrari don't try and convince you why their car is better than a Ford. Its just a known fact :p

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

Mail app does threaded messaging? It does on mine.

And if you want free turn-by-turn navigation, you should've done some research :rolleyes: . Don't complain about things you could've EASILY known before buying the device.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

Android vs iOS has been raging on for a while now ... there are limitations and differences to both OS's

Voice integration, right now, is very limited in iOS but rumoured with iOS5 to be much more heavily voice.

Turn-by-turn nav in maps is purely down to google developing its solution for iOS and getting it integrated ... whether its Apple or Google dragging its feet we'll never know but its not there and no signs of it coming anytime soon.

If you had some serious criteria without which you wouldn't be able to happily live with a device you should have spent some time with iOS before you commited to a contract with it ... it is what it is .... its a perfectly fine OS and device, great games, slick and smooth UI etc but it is missing stuff

5. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

go return it. nuff said.

6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Wow. This is why people talk trash about iPhone owners. The guy asked for help and you flame him. If he cam in here and said he had a droid and moved to the iPhone and loved it you all would have a ton of advice. But it is the OP's fault for jumping on the band wagon.

7. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i fail to see any flaming. all i see are people helping her by suggesting she try a different phone, especially since she wants things that the iPhone doesnt offer.

ok, a couple commented about her complaining about shortcomings that anyone should be aware of by now, but other than that, why are you trolling? are you sad? bored? lonely? sexually frustrated?

at least no fanboys have leapt in screaming, "BUT IT'S SUPERIOR ANYWAYS AND YOURE TOO STUPID TO ADMIT IT"

[​IMG]

8. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

If you say so man. I have a iPhone 4 as well as a EVO 4G. As well as a MBP and about to buy a Mac Pro. So I fail to see any fanboy in me.

Attached Files:

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

"BUT IT'S SUPERIOR ANYWAYS AND YOURE TOO STUPID TO ADMIT IT"

As S.L.J would say; research, use it ;)

10. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i never accused you of being a fanboy. i accused you of trolling.

either you're insecure or illiterate. you can choose.

11. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

By you saying that I felt you were saying I was backing android like a iPhone fanboy would back the iPhone.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No one will convince you, and you honestly didn't do research into what you were buying?

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

14. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ive used both the Droid X and Thunderbolt before iPhone 4 and I can say the stock email app from iOS beats the stock Android OS mailing app.

iOS has threaded messages, you can copy and paste in e-mail, you can do a lot more.

Android does have the official "GMail" app though which I was never too fond of. It had lots of syncing issues and would sync all of my inbox which consumed almost 2GB of data while slowing the phone down.

15. stephensays macrumors member

I definitely know what you're talking about. I myself switched over from a Droid to the iPhone 4 when it was released. Honestly, the only thing I miss from it is the way it handled notifications and how well it's turn by turn navigation was.

To answer your questions:

(1) iOS does in fact have threaded messaging for email.
    (2) There are a few really good GPS Navigation Apps- ranging from a couple bucks to almost $50. Depends on your budget and how detailed you want the app to be. Though there has been talk that Apple is actually developing their own navigation system that will succeed the current map app.
    (3) Voice isn't a big thing so far in iOS. It may come in the future, but as of now there aren't really any solutions I can offer you.

My suggestion? If those things you listed are a complete deal-breaker, then I would go back to the Droid and wait to see what iOS5/iPhone 5 has to offer. Then base your final decision off that.

However I think if you stay with the iPhone long enough, you will realize it truly is a superior device over the Droid. Especially in the ease of day to day tasks, as well as battery life and stability of iOS as a whole.

16. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

This. ^

I recommend waiting for iOS 5, and if you're looking for a good GPS app, check out Navigon. :)