Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Like the title says, i got an iphone last week, a few days after the new firmware was launched.

The seller at Best Buy told me that they got the iphones that same day, so I was worried about the firmware being 3.1. Looking at the serial number, I understood that I was worried for a good reason, apparently it was manufactured that same week (37), the week when 3.1 was launched.

What I don't know, is if they managed to put the new firmware or not. Right now, the box is still sealed, because if it is 3.1, its pretty much useless for me.

So, my question is, does anybody know, if the week 37 devices are with the new firmware or not?

Thanks a lot...

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say the chances are very high that it has 3.1 on it. There was another thread a few days ago (wastelanded now, for some reason) in which the OP had a week 37 phone with 3.1 on it.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
You have 30 days. Open it up and check it. If its 3.1 take it back and try again. If that doesn't work then you may have to look on CL or ebay. I can't believe they let you buy one and leave with it sealed in the box. How much you have to pay?

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
The problem is that I can return it only if I won't open it.
If I'll open the box, i'll have to pay 20% restocking fee (and I got it for 600$ before tax).

So, you're saying that I have no way of knowing before opening?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.