Got an unlimited AT&T SIM...how to proceed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nowstime, Mar 23, 2012.

1. nowstime, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

nowstime macrumors regular

A friend of mine just gave me his unlimited SIM since he will be out of country for a couple years...

Heard so many praises about the fast AT&T LTE so I'm quite excited...

I will get an AT&T new iPad tomorrow...what from there...

Do I just put in his SIM card and change the payment credit card to mine and billing info? Is that it...

He had the unlimited SIM since the iPad 1 and recently got the new iPad with 4G...He took it to the AT&T store and transfered to plan to his new iPad...didn't even take out the SIM.

In this case, I definitely have to get the SIM in his new iPad right? and if he wants to return his new iPad (might want WIFI only) can he just put his iPad 1 SIM card and return it?

Best wishes to everybody on this great forum~

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

The owner has to let AT&T know that they are transferring the ownership of the account. The SIM card is tied is usually tied to IMEI number so it won't match with yours. Basically, the process requires both parties with AT&T in the middle to handle the exchange.

3. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

That's cool of him.

Since he already logged the LTE plan onto a new iPad, it may just be best to swap sims. The old sims don't work the new LTE service so you cant use an IPad 1 sim.

Otherwise you would use his login information to access his account on your new iPad, no sim swap. You probably need to change billing info unless you have an understanding with him.

If you try talking to AT&T about it, you may end up losing the plan and you'll both be mad! So do your part from your end.

Since you have an LTE card I would start with a swap first. Use the new paper clip with the new iPad, the a regular one, is too girth for the hole. Press it in toward the screen. I'd put some masking tape down in case you slip and scratch.

Have fun

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

I would think you could just swap sims with him and be good to go.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

And pay each others bill?

6. JLee361 macrumors member

U have to login into his AT&T account and switch your IMEI iPad number with your new one. The ICCID number is associated with the sim already so you don't have to change that ( if it's already a 4g LTE sim). While you're there u can also change the information (login id, password, credit card info) with yours

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Well one iPad would be brand new so not activated according to the op. So put new unactivated sim in the activated iPad that is to be returned. Put activated sim from friend in new iPad. Voila.

8. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

But the activated SIM is still linked to the friend's credit card and billing information.

9. nowstime thread starter macrumors regular

It's a bit confusing...

Please see if I'm thinking right...

1. Get the new iPad SIM card from friend.

2. Put it in my iPad

3. Access friend's ATT account and change payment credit card and billing address. OR let my friend change his account info such as email and address to mine.

4. Give my new iPad SIM to friend so he could return his iPad for a WIFI version.

Does this sound right? I don't think there shouldn't be any IMEI number tweaking as I understand...

10. trs23 macrumors member

I recently upgraded from an ipad1 to the new ipad.

You don't have to swap sims. All you have to do is buy the new iPad, login to the AT&T account on the new iPad and it will automatically deactivate the old sim and activate the new one. Took about 5 minutes to activate the new iPad on AT&T network.

Like others said, change the billing info etx when you've logged in.

11. nowstime thread starter macrumors regular

Is this done through the iPad via setting or website?

12. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Wait... how do you get unlimited 4G service on an iPad? Does having an unlimited 3G account upgrade to free 4G?

13. mooseknuckles macrumors member

Yes, on At&T if and ONLY if you have the Grandfathered Unlimited data iPad SIM

14. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

STOP

All you gotta do is use his login info to login into the data account on your new iPad. There will be a button to transfer the unlimited plan to the new iPad. Once you do that, change the billing info in the account. You can also change login and password if you want.

No need to call AT&T for anything or do anything with the SIMS. No need to change any IEMI number or anything else. Just login, transfer the plan and change billing info. Tell your friend to wipe his iPad and the data account will be wiped along with everything else before returning it if he gets the wifi version.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

THIS. The SIM swapping with the new iPad is a bad idea...

16. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

So... could people who still have the grandfathered unlimited plans sell them? Or would it be dangerous for them to do so?

Op: I'd be REAL SURE about how to proceed before you do... i.e. don't take it to AT&T, because if they mess it up, they won't fix it!

Good luck!

17. Holoshed macrumors regular

People do sell them and they go for a lot.

18. DeuxIt macrumors member

i just sold mine on ebay for $650. super easy. did NOT need to do a sim swap. just changed user and password to his email and temp password, and told him he had to change billing info by the end of the billing cycle and if another charge appeared on my credit card i would contest the charge thus him losing the grandfathered plan and losing his $650. sent him the sim anyway just because that was the term of the ebay sale before i knew the real way to do it.