Got an used MacBook and it's a missing a screw, would AppleCare still cover it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kidhero, Jan 27, 2009.

1. kidhero macrumors newbie

So I got an used, but still in pretty good condition, MacBook and the top case has cracked near the trackpad and the left arrow key broke off. I checked the AppleCare status and the website says it's still good for over 2 years. I want to take it in but the one of the screws in the back of the case, right next to the hinge, is missing. Maybe the guy before me didn't know where to install the memory, I don't know? Would the Mac geniuses still take my laptop in for fixing or am I screwed? :confused:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The Genius Bar associates aren't going to fault you for having a secondhand MacBook. However, damages to the case/enclosure/keyboard are typically not covered by AppleCare. I would expect to pay a fee for repairing such issues but you may find a sympathetic Genius who will look the other way and fix it up. Take it in and see :)

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Applecare is transferable from the initial buyer of the computer to someone who purchases it from that person, so yes, they should cover it regardless.

All they will really look at is that it's registered with applecare.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I have seen refurbished machines missing screws although never on the outside of the case. Maybe if the machine had been in for repairs before and one of the screws wasn't installed/properly. To install RAM on the MacBook the screws do not come out of their sockets, but rather just loosen up -- and they are inside the battery compartment.

That may be an issue or sign of someone opening up the machine and thus voiding its warranty completely. You can either say nothing about that and hope they don't notice it or otherwise tell them the truth, and that it was second-hand and you honestly have no idea. It is ultimately up to them as they would have no reason to trust you, but you could also try a few times and potentially get a different genius.

The top case on the MacBook is covered under warranty if it gets the cracks/splits from the small bumps on the bezel above the screen as sometimes when closing hard or enough times they can break the top case at it's bottom edge to the right or left of the trackpad. If the crack/split matches up near enough with one of those bumps then it should be a clear sign for the genius.

However, as the others said, normal physical damage is not covered other than that design flaw.