got another 17" Studio Display ADC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

How can I use this?

My setup Consists of

1 17"Studio Display ADC and 1 Samsung SyncMaster 940BW DVI for the G5

15" PB G4 A1095 with SVIDEO and DVI out

Is there an adapter from DVI to ADC or is it only ADC to DVI?

Also are there any cards I put in the G5 that has dual ADC outs so I can use both displays?

If I ever get a 20"Cinema Display will I be able to use with one the 17" Studio Displays or another Cinema Display? I might not get one but curious

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

ADC is DVI+USB+24V. That said, the way this works is that any card with an ADC port provides power to the display. Without power, no workie.

ADC tanked, so Apple introduced the A1006 DVI to ADC converter box to allow customers to continue using their expensive displays with DVI video cards. The A1006 is a box that you hook up the ADC connector to. It's also got a USB cable that goes from there to your Mac and a DVI port that goes to your video card.

Guess what? The people on eBay that have this are well aware of the value of the converter. I have seen NO bids starting at under $50 and these routinely go for about $120 at auction. A Buy It Now price can be anywhere from $100-$300.

There were third parties that made their own adapters and you can actually build your own for about $40 and the cost of a box of Altoids. But the third party ones are extremely hard to find. If you're handy you can take that further and rewire the display for DVI yourself. You just need the pinouts and those are on the web.

I only know because I have one 20" Cinema Display and two 17" Studio Displays. I'm waiting on converters before I can attach these to my Quicksilver. But I have the 20" hooked up right now. One of the reasons I haven't swapped out for my Radeon 9800 Pro yet.

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I don't understand why it flopped the only thing wrong with it is the USB ports go dead on the monitor.

Can I install another graphics card to have ADC in the G5? Also does the newer/later G5s able to connect more than 2 monitors?

I suppose I might look into another PPC but that will be later. At least I have a back up monitor if the other one dies. there was a store locally selling alot of the monitors but I got 2 from him and one being the last one he had. Months ago there were around 20 or so.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerMacs have only ever been able to connect one ADC monitor without the use of an adapter. You cannot install anymore ADC video cards as they require the already in use AGP slot. No video card has two ADC ports, only ADC and something else like VGA or DVI.

5. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

One could try Craigslist. I've seen the converters here in Los Angeles as low as $50 up to $100.

When I bought my M8149 ADC monitor off Craigslist, the adapter came with it. I paid $100 for both. The seller had used the adapter to connect to her MacBook.

That could be a specific monitor issue. All four of my ADC Cinema/Studio displays work with their USB ports. All 4, at one time or another, have controlled an Apple Pro Keyboard and Apple USB Speakers.

6. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I have had 2 monitors that I couldn't use the USB. one monitor I still have and the other I got rid of because I didn't think I could fix the leg in the back or get a G5 as soon as did.(I feel stupid since I did that).

I'll check the new monitor I got but I'm not expecting to have working USB ports in the monitor which is why I have 2 USB PCI cards.

7. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Having just recently gone through this with my Cinema HD Display, I can say this: it is really, really, really tiresome to unscrew everything to replace the hinge.

To make matters worse, of the three separate variants of the acrylic Displays I have (17 inch, 23 inch 1600x1024, and 23 inch 1920x1200) each has entirely separate mechanisms for the hinge assembly. The parts may look alike, but the layouts and hinge sizes are different. Totally frustrating to find that out the hard way.

I wound up buying a recommended guitar stand to hold up my Cinema HD monitor. The guitar stand works very well and I have had no issues so far.