Got bootup sound, but no sound after!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stigzy, Apr 7, 2013.

1. stigzy macrumors member

Hi!

I just replaced my 1TB harddrive in my iMac 27" mid 2011 with 2x 250GB SSD and i did it without any problem. But when i power up my iMac, i hear the bootup sound, but no sound in the OS X. I've been trying do some things:

- Reseting PRAM and SMC
    - Delete 2 files in /libery/preference/audio and do a PRAM
    - Take a headphone jackinnput and put it in and out some times (Did like 100 times).
    - Reinstalling OS X Mountaint Lion
    - Start up in safe mode

None of these things work. Currently i am using sound through AirPlay to my home cinema speakers, but i really dont want to depend on those at all time, and i certainly want to use headphones on my iMac.

So any ideas dear friends?

I could reconnect all the wires inn my iMac, but if the wires are wrong, i shouldnt have startup sound? Am I right?

Have a good day! (At least it is day here in Norway :) )

2. simsaladimbamba

Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

3. stigzy, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

stigzy thread starter macrumors member

It says: optical digital output.

But when i pick that on, i cant change the volume. And the volume icon is grey.

Any ideas?

And when i do put in some headphone with minijack, nothing is happening.

EDIT!

I did try something just now. I used a SATA reader to boot my old 1TB hard drive with OS X Mountain Lion on it, and the sound doesnt work there either, and the sound did work when this hard drive was in my iMac. Is it really possible that a cable inside can be disconnected, and the boot up sound still works? Doesnt sound logical to me, but everything is possible.

If this is so, could you show me in some of these 2 guides underneath where the sound cabel is?

http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2429+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/7575/1