Got both iPhone 6 and 6+: My thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lakailb87, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I actually got a 6 for myself but had to order a 6 and 6+ for work.

Received both today and here are my initial thoughts.

iPhone 6+:

I first took out the 6+ and my god is this thing huge. The screen is absolutely beautiful and I can see how it would be great for movie watching. As a phone though I can't see it being practical. I would say I am a pretty average sized guy and average to large sized hands. This is a 2 handed device, no way around it. I could not comfortably reach all the keys while typing and it required a lot of moving around in my hand to do what I wanted to do. I don't wear skinny jeans, just a normal sized pair and it was quite large in my pocket. I can definitely tell it is there although it does fit well enough as long as you don't mind people noticing a big slab in your pants. If I didn't have to carry it in a pocket and didn't care about using the phone one handed this would be a great device for me but as it is now, it's far too big to be usable day to day. Hopefully this changes in the next revision, I really wanted to like this one and went back between the two quite a bit when I was pre ordering.

iPhone 6:

Perfect. It is the perfect size (although I do wish they cut down the bezels more and fit a 5" screen in the same size device). It is basically just as big as a Galaxy S3 but thinner and more comfortable to hold. The screen looks great and I can easily reach all four corners of the screen without any trouble. Fits nicely in the pocket and one handed use is very easy with it. It doesn't feel that much bigger than my iPhone 5 but you can easily notice the much bigger screen, going back to the 5 looks small now. I love the design of both (except of the attenaes but in space grey they don't look that bad). The curved back makes everything easier and the buttons feel like a huge upgrade from the 5, no more wiggle like the 5 buttons had. All in all I am glad I went with the 6 on this launch and i really hope they can make the bezels smaller on the next revision, I would have loved the bigger screen that the 6+ has.

Attached Files:

2. iSlanderous macrumors regular

yawn. Great for you! Bring on the other 50 posts about this

3. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I come to a conclusion that everyone saying the 6 plus is huge used to only use the iPhone. I checked it out today in store and it's not that huge because I'm used to big phones.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I know what you mean. I picked up an iPhone 6 today at the AT&T store for my wife and I really like the size. I will be getting a 6+ on Tuesday for myself and it's going to be a difficult decision whether or not I will keep it.

5. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Thanks for your impressions. Can't wait for my 6 to get here! :)

6. vitacura macrumors regular

7. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

lol

On a more serious note, I agree that the 6plus is pretty big, however there are a lot of advantages of having a larger device like that. After looking at it in the store today I considered getting rid of my iPad Air, however I'd rather have the 6 and the iPad Air.. More functional to me. Either way you go, I think people will be happy.

8. Lakailb87, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Lakailb87 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. I thought about getting rid of my mini and just getting a 6+ but it feels too much like a jack of all trades. Doesn't do the phone part as well as a 6 and doesn't do that tablet part as well as an iPad. It's perfect if you just want to have one device for everything though and like I said at least for me I need to be able to do things one handed which I just can't do well enough on the 6+.

Here's to hoping they can shorten it up a but on the next revision and I can go with the + then.

9. drogba macrumors member

As much as I love the 6+, bums me out that people are going to be giving the excuse "yeah but this is so good for watching movies!"

No it's not. I don't want to have to link the David Lynch iPhone commercial, but a 5.5" screen does not equate to a 14-foot screen. End old man rant.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, it's all relative. I never watch video on my 4S, it's ridiculous and just a bad experience. But video is great on my iPad Air. So there has to be some place in the middle where it moves from bad to good, right? Considering most content is 16x9 aspect nowadays (or wider, for movies), the iPhone 6 Plus will get more out of its screen than an iPad will, with its 4x3 aspect. Is it the best movie experience? No. But it might well be incredible considering the portability. After all, let's see you take your 14 foot screen on vacation with you.

11. ender21 macrumors 6502

I guess it would be helpful to define "movies." If by movies you mean cinema, I agree wholeheartedly. I worked hard to create a great home theater in our house and that is where I want my theater movie experience most of the time.

If by "movies" it could be any smallish, lower-fidelity file that lives on a computer, is shot with an phone, linked to on youtube, posted on facebook, repeats of Seinfeld or The Office, or shared pictures/videos of my kids, then as long as it's bigger than my 5, it's better for movies than previous versions of Apple's phones.

12. Patsyx macrumors newbie

I can't wait to get mine in October I'm used to an galaxy note 3 so size is no problem at all.

13. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Thanks for validating yourself.

Most of us on here have both of them. I decided to keep the 6 plus. The end

14. ray737 macrumors 6502

Having tried out both. Mine arrives next week Thursday. iPhone PLUS all the way. If I was going to buy the regular iPhone 6. I might as well keep iPhone 5. Not much bigger. Hands down iPhone plus!!

15. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm actually amazed at how many people watch videos on their phone. I mean at the gym, I will watch Hulu/Netflix on the elliptical but that is a rarity. Other than that, I don't think I've ever watched a video on my phone. Also, someone mentioned in another thread that they watched Netflix while sitting at home on their phone... My tv has Netflix and I have a laptop and an iPad...

I mean I do really think it comes down to how people use their phone. Once I get home, I don't touch my phone except to charge it.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'll watch a video on my phone when I'm not in front of a bigger screen. Bigger is better on this one boys, no sugar coating that one.

17. neoJeets macrumors newbie

Yeah, I agree that how you use the phone will determine which one you'll prefer. I'm pretty much the opposite of you when it comes to how I use my phone. I watch a few hours of YouTube, twitch, Netflix, etc. on my phone for a few hours a day most days, most of it actually when I'm at home. So for my case, a big display is a definite plus as its my primary media streaming device.

18. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I don't see myself watch a movie on an iPhone 6 plus. Hell even a tablet is too small to watch a movie. But watch something like a documentary or TV shows would be pleasant

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Planes, trains, and automobiles.

Best place for a portable movie device.

Oh, and the john. Probably the most popular.

20. Vivian125 macrumors regular

Vivian125

THIS!! really
    THIS... really
    plutusxerxes91504.jpg
    iPhone 6 Plus is TOO SMALL for many to watch Movies. when compared to iPad
    Very True that iPhone 6 is perfect for SMS, and Calling.
    Don't underestimate iPhone 5/5S/SE as they can be used as an iPod Touch, basic email and answering calls.

i have an iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Mini 4 and iPad Pro 9.7"
    For your information:
    1. There is a HUGE GAP between Screen size of all APPLE Device when iPhone 6/7 Plus compared to the iPad Mini.
    2. iPad Mini is 2.43 times bigger than iPhone 6 Plus and it is closer to the iPhone 5 S size or even 4S.
    3. iPhone 6/6 Plus makes other Phones smaller. But still, when COMPARED to iPad the iPhone 6 Plus size shrinks dramatically.

Attached Files:

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's been 2.5 years since the last response in this thread.

Think they'll respond to your post? :)

22. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

My opinion is that both are too big. Both are uncomfortable in the pocket. Given that, if the choice is between the two, one might as enjoy the benefit of the larger screen.

23. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

what battery life you get mean usage and standby on normal iPhone 6 thanks