Got Dad to buy an iBook! Yea!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by clyde2801, Dec 19, 2008.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Got my biannual call from my 70+ year old father to come over and disinfect all of the spyware from his p4 windows desktop (my machine from 2001). Despite spybot, adaware, etc., it became so bogged down with all of that crap that it wouldn't run.

Being a Depression baby (1st gen :eek:) he wouldn't spend a lot of money, and wouldn't let me buy one, either. Found a sweet deal on a g4 ibook with wireless, ilife, iwork, ietcetera for under $250, and he actually bought it!

I'm currently upgrading tiger, and putting some software on it for him tonight, and I'm hoping to take it over to him this evening. For the money, it's a sweet little machine.

And now I'll never have to spend half a day reinstalling Windows for him again! Yea!!!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Very nice and congrats to the both of you!
    Sounds like a great set up and relationship!

Much to be thankful for this holiday season!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

make sure its not a white g3 ibook from around 2001, if it is it may get a graphics chip problem soon, they were notorious for it.

5. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks, but it says iBook g4 on the front of it.
    I'm getting ready to give it back to him today, but Ill admit I'm surprised how competent it is for basic tasks like surfing, email and word processing...screen was better than I was remembering.

6. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Very nice!
    My cousin just got herself an iBook G3 as her first Mac, and she paid $100 for it. She loves it.
    I on the other hand, laid out $1800 for a MacBook Air, as my first Mac!
    But overall, I hope your father enjoys his new laptop. He'll love it compared to his Windows machine. Plus hey, he really doesn't have to worry about spyware/viruses as long as he's careful!
    Congrats!

7. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

update-he likes it!

Got back from taking the iBook to my Dad's and he likes it; he really likes it!

I'll still be getting phone calls about how do you do..., but I'd rather handle that than disinfecting my old windows box. Hell, I may even take him to the Apple store for the welcome to mac classes!

<sniff>I'm about to rummage around for a spare Apple sticker for the back of his car...<sniff>

I'm also thinking, that old iBook isn't too bad for surfing on a wifi connection. With the 12" form factor and a 30 gig drive, that's just about an apple netbook, isn't it?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like a perfect match!
    Excellent work and glad it turned out so well for you!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]