Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Is there any WEP encrypton crackers such as Airsnort for OSX or does one One have to be running something like Yellow Dog Linux? Also could this hacker have cracked the WEP encryption with the Linux OS, Written it down, and then entered it into OSX?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Koodauw said:
Is there any WEP encrypton crackers such as Airsnort for OSX or does one One have to be running something like Yellow Dog Linux? Also could this hacker have cracked the WEP encryption with the Linux OS, Written it down, and then entered it into OSX?

heh

kismac is the kismet port to mac os x ;)
http://www.binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/

please read what cards and functionality are supported. this is very important.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
superbovine said:
heh

kismac is the kismet port to mac os x ;)
http://www.binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/

please read what cards and functionality are supported. this is very important.
yah,,kismac doesnt work with airport extreme,,just airport i guess..although it 'sniffes' the networks, but its not able to capture data packets..anyone has kisMAC working with airport extreme/???
thanks

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
No, but i'm waiting for them to get it working (KisMac with Airport extreme) !

From what I understand, the specs for the airport extreme card are a closely held secret, reason why they haven't figured out yet how to set it in passive promiscuous mode...

What about using a sniffer to see what traffic is going through ? Or even using nmap to find out what he is using (try the gui version : http://faktory.org/m/software/nmap/ ) - just scan the whole range of ip addresses that you use and find out what open ports there are on each active ip. Usually nmap can also tell you what type of os is running

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
abhishekit said:
I got an error when i run 'make' , so i was not able to compile it successfully.

you might need the Developer Tools installed to compile from source.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
sonofslim said:
you might need the Developer Tools installed to compile from source.

Ohhhh! I never though of that...I've always had them installed since they came on my computer, and I use them, but I bet it needs them to compile. 95% sure that's the problem. The solution - install the dev. tools from the install CDs for your computer.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Thanks a lot fellows, for your helpful input...nmap is a neat software...
Thanks outThere761, sonofslism...it was indeed the developer tools..after installing it, the compilation was no problem..

cheers

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
gcc is needed to complile things, and it comes with the Developer tools. :)

A little off topic, I was just doing a port scan and found I have port 445 open, which is listed as microsoft-ds. Does anyone else have this port open? I think it's for samba, but I can't be sure...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
abhishekit said:
yah,,kismac doesnt work with airport extreme,,just airport i guess..although it 'sniffes' the networks, but its not able to capture data packets..anyone has kisMAC working with airport extreme/???
thanks

the last alpha build supports the airport extreme, that why i stated to read about the functionality carefully. the airport extreme is buggy at best, but sometimes it does work. wait for future builds, or for whenever the last alpha build gets updated.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
superbovine said:
the last alpha build supports the airport extreme, that why i stated to read about the functionality carefully. the airport extreme is buggy at best, but sometimes it does work. wait for future builds, or for whenever the last alpha build gets updated.
it supports airport extreme only in active mode..but thats no good to collect data packets..i can just see them whizzing by.. :)

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
If you are never far from the base station, you can reduce power to limit the radius from which others can effectively use your station. That is an easy way to prevent someone from getting in without dropping your datarate.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
Dros said:
If you are never far from the base station, you can reduce power to limit the radius from which others can effectively use your station. That is an easy way to prevent someone from getting in without dropping your datarate.

i've been told this is done by reducing the Channel # ? is that true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.