Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I got a new iPhone 3GS from craiglist and it was AT&T locked. So i did the unlock for this phone through EBAY and i got email from ebay seller (unlock fusion) that it is unlocked.
So i connected the phone to iTunes and restored it and did not get any congratulations message.
I did not put a SIM card in the phone while restoring since i dont have any SIM card. So after the restore got over, i got message saying

"there is no sim card in the phone you are attempting to activate"

It wouldn't work over Wifi as well as it asks for SIM Card.

How should i make this work ?
Should i get a tmobile sim card (i want to use tmobile) and out inside the phone and again try activating it ?
Since i did not get any message about whether the phone is unlocked or not, i have no idea whether it is unlocked or not. But as per the seller it is unlocked.

Before the restore the phone was working fine (without SIM) so i believe it was originally activated by previous user on AT&T. In this case do i just need ANY SIM to do the activation ? It need not be AT&T SIM right ?

Last edited:

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Try this site
http://iphoneox.com/
It will tell you if its unlocked.
And yes you will need a sim to activate it and get in to the homescreen.
If its unlocked any sim will do.

Thanks for the link. You always help.
Here is what i got as output when i put my IMEI..

Device IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Product description: iPhone 3GS 8GB Black
Telephone technical support: Expired
Warranty(repairs and service coverage): Active
Warranty expiration date: November 27, 2012
Activation status: Activated
Is registered: Yes
Sim lock status: Unlocked

All this means the phone is unlocked but to get past this activation screen and onto the homescreen, i will need any SIM card to activate it, right ?

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Ok so finally success. Searched my home here and found an inactive SIM card from my home country (India). Used that SIM and connected the phone to itunes and got the congratulations message. Since the SIM card is inactive i am getting no service. The sim does not work on my android too. May be i will borrow a colleague's sim tomorrow and check or will wait or tmobile sim to arrive.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok so finally success. Searched my home here and found an inactive SIM card from my home country (India). Used that SIM and connected the phone to itunes and got the congratulations message. Since the SIM card is inactive i am getting no service. The sim does not work on my android too. May be i will borrow a colleague's sim tomorrow and check or will wait or tmobile sim to arrive.

Cool.
Now you know it's 100% unlocked.

Bleubutterfly78

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I need help!! I had an att iPhone 3GS I bought from someone and I sent it to a friend in Canada he had the phone unlocked and jail broken but because it was only running 4.1 he couldn't use a lot of the apps I then learned about a company on eBay unlockfusion and I paid them to do the unlock once I received the email saying it was unlocked we plugged it into ITunes ands it restored/updated now the phone says nosims and will not activate he does not have an att sims to put in the phone also the sims he was upswing before when it was jailbroken/unlocked wont work I have tried everything I could find on the web I did check to see if the phone was unlocked by the imei and it say unlocked please please help me I don't know what to do....:-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.