Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacericg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Seems like most people are having the same peoples on the defective iPhones, what should I be checking for to make sure I don't have a defective one (and how do I do it)?

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Didn't you just answer your question yourself in a way?

You know what the death grip is.. Do it.

You know what the proximity sensor is.. Make a call and look.

:)

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Seems like most people are having the same peoples on the defective iPhones, what should I be checking for to make sure I don't have a defective one (and how do I do it)?

If your trying to create the problem...you don't have a problem ;) that's most peoples problem here on this forum..if I hold my phone that really unnatural way it'll drop signal after a while but yet I have never dropped a call and I hold the phone with both hands. Enjoy your phone. Don't worry about it:)

Manie Frizzle

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Let's see if I can recall all of them. Yellow screen due to glue not settling between glass and LCD, yellow tint when taking pics, when shaken you can hear the mute button wiggle, mushy home button, volume buttons reversed. I think that's it. Have fun lol

Polo5

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
What should I be checking for to make sure I don't have a defective one (and how do I do it)?

Death Grip
1.hold yuor iPhone with left hand covering the seam on the left hand side of the phone
2.look at the bars on the top left part of the iPhone screen and see if any bars drop or see a message that says "No service"

Proximity Sensor
1.dial a number and make a call
2. put your iPhone close to your ear during the phone call
2. while on a call look at the screen and see if any settings were changed by your ear
3. if phone call was ended by your ear while on the call, you may have this issue

Yellow screen due to glue not settling between glass and LCD
1. look in the screen for any yellow colorization

Yellow tint when taking pics
1. take a picture with your iPhone
2. look at the picture
3. look for any yellow tint on the picture

Mute button wiggle
1. shake your iPhone
2. listen for any strange sounds coming out of your phone by the mute button

Volume buttons reversed
1. look at the volume buttons
2. click on the "+" button, if volume goes down, you may have this problem

maybe not the best instructions in the world, but I made them in a rush, hope they help...

imacericg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Death Grip
1.hold yuor iPhone with left hand covering the seam on the left hand side of the phone
2.look at the bars on the top left part of the iPhone screen and see if any bars drop or see a message that says "No service"

Proximity Sensor
2. while on a call look at the screen and see if any settings were changed by your ear
3. if phone call was ended by your ear while on the call, you may have this issue

2. look at the picture

Mute button wiggle
1. shake your iPhone

Volume buttons reversed

maybe not the best instructions in the world, but I made them in a rush, hope they help...

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Rhodesy

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
the mute button wiggle is that really a issue???? do apple care swap phones for this??

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
If your trying to create the problem...you don't have a problem ;) that's most peoples problem here on this forum..if I hold my phone that really unnatural way it'll drop signal after a while but yet I have never dropped a call and I hold the phone with both hands. Enjoy your phone. Don't worry about it:)

^^
This

Stay Tuned

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010

If it's so unnatural as you and other fanboys like to say, why is that type of grip prevalent in every iPhone commercial and ad put out by Apple?

hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong.jpg

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010

I agree with that. There is no 100% perfect device It seems like many on this forum are looking under a microscope to find the slightest blemish. Remember all...it is just a smartphone!

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
You hold it with both hands? That seems a weird way to hold it.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
Death Grip
1.hold your iPhone with left hand covering the seam on the left hand side of the phone
3. Regardless of whether you hold the phone or set it on the desk, see if you are getting lots of dropped calls - there are connectivity issues aside from the grip.

Proximity Sensor
3. if phone call was ended by your ear while on the call, you may have this issue (or it could be a connectivity issue)

2. look at the picture
4. Do test with and without flash and under incandescent lighting. Note skin tones. Some phones have highly unnatural skin tones.

Mute button wiggle
1. shake your iPhone

Volume buttons reversed

Hiss Issue with the Speaker test
1. using voice memo or video recording, make a recording in a quiet space. Have some long pauses before and after.
2. playback and listen using the iPhone speaker - see if there is a loud hiss
3. playback and listen using earbuds - see if the hiss goes away

Battery Drain
1. go to settings and put the battery percentage counter on
2. take a photo of your battery usage throughout the day
3. go to threads on battery problems and compare your battery usage with others (this is vary depending on whether you have 3g on, etc. but you will learn which ones have major battery drain compared to excellent battery life). Apple has said this may be a factor of the connectivity issues if the phone is searching for data.

Faulty Temperature Gauge (relatively small number of incidences)
1. Phone will warn it is too hot when it is not hot.
2. Phone will get very hot but not turn on the warning.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Just use it.

Don't look for problems.

That being said, I didn't look for problems and I can't use this phone without problems due to proximity sensor issues.

If you DO have a problem- please 1) tell Apple (see my signature below).
Don't just post incessantly like many here on Macrumors. Only by telling Apple (and the media) will anything be fixed.

And don't bother posting on Apple.com support boards. Apple has been erasing ALL posts about Consumer Reports giving iPhone 4 a "do not buy" rating. Very Big Brother, no?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
If it's so unnatural as you and other fanboys like to say, why is that type of grip prevalent in every iPhone commercial and ad put out by Apple?

Not just that, look at this image.

It's from the keynote where the original iPhone was introduced.

It was the first time an iPhone was shown being held.

Attachments

• deathGrip.png
    deathGrip.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 55

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
The whole point of these boards is to share this kind of information so just don't bother reading these threads if you're not going to contribute.

The OP was right to ask for this kind of info and I'll bet a lot of users have not tested their phones yet to discover potential issues like the speaker. We expect our phones to work properly.

And there's already three threads about Apple deleting the Consumer Reports info.

Just use it.

Don't look for problems.

That being said, I didn't look for problems and I can't use this phone without problems due to proximity sensor issues.

If you DO have a problem- please 1) tell Apple (see my signature below).
Don't just post incessantly like many here on Macrumors. Only by telling Apple (and the media) will anything be fixed.

And don't bother posting on Apple.com support boards. Apple has been erasing ALL posts about Consumer Reports giving iPhone 4 a "do not buy" rating. Very Big Brother, no?

Kevio

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Good God, use the damn phone for what it is and stop nitpicking at all the defects. You bought to phone just to test it's defects? Wish I had money to waste like that.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
Good God, use the damn phone for what it is and stop nitpicking at all the defects. You bought to phone just to test it's defects? Wish I had money to waste like that.

Who bought the phone to test for defects? Good God yourself. This is a thread for someone who just bought the phone and he wants to know what he should look for, since it's known to have issues.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Death Grip

Proximity Sensor

2. look at the picture

Mute button wiggle
1. shake your iPhone

Volume buttons reversed

Yep, I'll echo that. The death grip thing will happen with any iPhone 4 though as it's not a quality control issue that afflicts only some of the phones but rather a design issue with the model. If it's unacceptable to the OP, he may as well not get an iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.