Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liroyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
As many of you know, there are some 5s of different color available for personal pick up yesterday. I was a lucky one to catch that. I'm here to say some first hand impression about the color...
It's more like a light champagne than the so called gold. Actually much more low profile than I thought. Nothing blingbling like real gold or other gold staff. Here's a comparison with my Starbucks gold card
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv5gd1m7t15c9tv/2.jpg

And comparing with iphone4, it got a feeling of light sandblasting texture, which even makes it less gold again. Here's the comparison. Sorry for the dim light, it was late yesterday
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ha8v72fygr9tcf/6.jpg

Last edited:

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Pictures work for me. First of all, congrats on your new phone! Getting a hold of a gold one is a tricky proposition right now. Also, I love the pictures because they give a real good sense of the color. My girlfriend is waiting for her gold one to come in the mail and these pictures have made her even more excited for it, it's such a slick color. Thanks!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I hope you enjoy it too!

On a side note, has anyone else noticed how almost everyone that gets a "gold" phone goes out of their way to explain how non-gaudy, non-"gold", non-flashy it is?

I completely get why you wouldn't want it to be that way, but think it's the prime example why most people will never want one. The perception is that it IS all of those things. It certainly has a niche, but when you only produce 1 gold for every 10,000 space grey it's not hard to strum up "demand". I would have bought one to resell though :p

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Congrats! I snagged one myself yesterday :)

I noticed that in different types of light it doesn't look Gold, just looks Silver, I don't mind though.

PaulOBrain

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2013
UK
Congrats! Was at the Apple store yesterday and must admit had to eat my words on the gold iPhone. Looked very nice actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.