Got it!!!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Habu71, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Habu71 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I finally bought my new iMac--27" with the 390 video card and 1T Fusion drive. Can't wait to start using it but want to make sure I do it correctly. Do I just start it and will it ask me to connect my Time Machine external drive to it to download everything from my old iMac. Please someone let me know the correct way to go from one old iMac to my new one. Don't want to screw it up on first day!!!!! So will wait for some advice and hints from people who have done this.

Also, I had Office for Mac on old computer. So all my documents are in Word. With new iMac will have Pages. Never used this program. Will all my documents just open up in Pages?

2. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

Congrats on the new computer. Few better feelings out there than getting your new computer.

As for your question, I literally outlined how to do this exact thing in another thread for someone else.

I'll repost it here. Probably one of the easiest things you can do:

Start computer.

When it's gone to the importing options page, click restore from the old time machine backup.

Then you can select what you want to import specifically whether it be all of the files or just a few of them such as documents only.

Screen should look something like this:

[​IMG]

Then it takes you here and you can select what you want to.

[​IMG]

Good luck.

3. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'll add to the congratulations!

My out of box experience was equally satisfying, and I loved that "Welcome while flying through space" video that used to accompany starting it up.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

To open your Word docs;
    Launch Pages and select Open from the File menu, and select a Word doc. Double clicking the Word doc to open it will not work. You would have to save it in Pages first for that to work.

5. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

I wish those would make a comeback.

Those were very enjoyable on a new purchase.

I really enjoyed them.