Got MacBook. Need help on wireless hard drive and TV conncection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gotdaniel, Dec 2, 2008.

1. gotdaniel macrumors newbie

Recently I just bought my first Mac computer (MacBook). While I am still excited over its beauty, I have tons of questions on how to set up a few things in the house.

1. I have a old external hard drive and a Belkin wireless router. How do I set it up so that I can access files in the hard drive wirelessly? Do I need the Airport Extreme Station to do that?

2. I plan to use VMware Fusion but does it require Windows XP with SP2 or does it accept any verison of Windows XP?

3. Can Iwork open Microsoft Office files or vice versa?

4. How do I connect the new MacBook to TV? I only know how to do that with the VGA cable but there is so such output on the Mac.

I am a beginner in this and would appreciate your pundit advise. If the MacBook is working out for me, I think I would switch the entire house to Apple products.

By the way, does Apple give out discount on December 26. If so, I might as well get a IMac.

Thanks for your help

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

1. Your router would have to be able to connect to the hard drive with a USB cord.

3. For the most part, yes, however, for the vice versa, you would need to export your iWork files to the .doc (or .docx for the newer Offices) format for Office to be able to read it.

4. Which MacBook do you have? That will help you determine which adapter to get so you can plug it into your TV.

Hope that helps.

3. Earley008 macrumors member

1. I would just use usb to connect the external hard drive (depends upon its use) as it would be faster. And you just connect to your wireless network normally along the bar at the top - the menu bar, you click the wireless icon and select your network from the list

2. I have ditched windows so do not no!

3. You can get office for mac 2008 and open files in that but when saving them you need to save them as word 2003 format or 2007 format depending upon whats installed on th windows PC

Sorry if any advice is wrong or not detail enough (just ask). But this is what i do.