got macbook.. please help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

So i got the macbook. Open it up and i am having problems getting online. It asked me to select a wireless service, it found mine and i entered the password. it says its wrong. but its right. i tried several times. so this is under Airport extreme. So i went to DSL MODem which i have but i dont know all the answers so i clicked continue, entered my apple ID and it said it cant connect or apple store is busy.. What do i do now?

i made the account.. so how do i get the internet to work?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do and what the setup of your network is. What kind of DSL modem do you have? Do you have an airport base station?

3. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

I don't know how to answer because I don't have a MacBook yet, but I was there when my friend first turned on hers a couple months ago and it automatically registered the wireless internet at her boyfriend's house while she was still creating a log in account... It did the whole "talking to Apple" thing, I'm pretty sure.

Don't know what to say. Someone else probably will know the answer. If not, try calling Apple. You still get like a week of free phone service from Apple or something like that.

Enjoy your new mac! ;)

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly... But the reason it's not connecting is because you're not connected to the internet. When you made the change to DSLModem, it expects you to plug in an ethernet cable. As far as not connecting to your wireless, I would try to change the encryption key so you can access it. My network at home is encrypted and not broadcasting the SSID and I was able to connect just fine on my MB.

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I've got a nasty feeling that unless you can describe this situation a little better than you just did - well you're not going to find an answer.

6. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

I got it working. it was a stupid thing. i was missing part of the password my dad forgot to tell me.... anyways, this thing is incredible. and the ipod touch! WOW WOW WOW... i downloaded adium so i can use msn messenger on it. but im stuck. im on msn messenger but when i add contact, it comes on the buddylist shows hes no tonline then the name is gone. is disapears.. then i re-add it.. what do i do to make the name stay?

Thanks!

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Glad you were able to get it working. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy it! As far as the Adium question, I'm currently at work on my Windows machine (yeah I know...) so perhaps somebody can answer that for you.

8. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.. i know this may sound stupid.. but how do i put a cd in? i see where it goes but do i just put it in.. it didnt seem like it was taking it in.. do i just put it in? and then how do i get it out? i dont want to put it in until i know im suppose to

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Just slide the CD/DVD into the slot, it will "grab" the CD/DVD. To eject it there's a couple of ways, under the "Macintosh HD" you'll see an icon for the CD/DVD, drag that into the trash can or there's an eject button on the top right of the keyboard.

10. Yaris macrumors regular

I assume that putting the disc in the side and pushing it in would work. When you want to eject it push the eject button on the keyboard.

11. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! yup it sucked it right in.... How do i find out what week this was made and the type of screen i have? im curious...... i know there was a thread about it few weeks ago but i cant find it. i thought i put it under my favorites but i guess i didnt.. Thanks for your help!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just make sure you only use full size discs; never use small CD/DVD, funny shaped ones, they will get stuck and you will have a hard time get the disc back out.

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The week and year made is in the Serial Number, **###******, those 3 numbers tell you the year and week of that year, if it were **743******, then the computer was made in the 43rd week of 2007, if it were **812******, then it was made the 12th week of 2008, and the screen might be in system profiler.

And by the way, Yankees suck :p Go Sox :cool:

14. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! mines 29th week.... and GO YANKEES
    New problem. It keeps on loseing the internet connection. This is the 2nd time. It happen after a software update and now happend after i put it to sleep for a little. Whats going on? Why is it happening and what do i do?

i put my macbook to sleep for 10 min, opened it and internet was lost again... is something wrong with the macbook? its not the internet... figures something has to be wrong with it.. just my luck

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well did you give it some time after it woke up?

16. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

so i have an appt with apple tomorrow. it keeps disconnecting after sleep... and internet is a little slow too... does this stuff happen a lot on macs. I dont want to have to worry about having a different problem each time...:(

actually its fast.. just slow on this site a little