Got MBP & apple display 24", what next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katyoshi, Oct 11, 2009.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I just recently started using a mac for the first time in my life and I love it way better than PC. I have windows xp and had bad experiences with vista. I have a new mid-2009 model 15" MBP 2.66ghz, apple cinema display 24-inch, apple TV 160gb, bluetooth apple keyboard and mighty mouse, iPhone 3G (t-mobile), ipod touch that came free with the student discount, and recently, my gf bought me MobileMe subscription for $60 from ebay.

I was on the 60 day free trial but now I basically have 14 months of mobileme service! I'm liking mobileme so far actually although I cancelled my previous free trial this past summer only after 2 weeks of use and thought it was useless but it actually isn't for me.

Anyway, I was looking into a refurbished macbook air (with the current new specs 1.86 ghz with 128 gb SSD) or the new upcoming mac mini that was rumored to be released this month. I burn movies sometimes with my MBP to archive my DVD movies in a external HD. Which would be more suitable for me considering i have these things? Not too concerned about using a mac mini as a media server since I have a hacked apple TV already. I carry my MBP around with me every time I'm on University's campus and to places I study at sometimes, such as Starbucks.

Demographics of me: 24 year old male, registered nurse getting his masters in family nurse practitioner at a university (so no intensive graphic work), I used to play windows games intensively but now I got a mac, not too much compatibility in games for macs and also not much time for those now days since I'm in grad school. I mostly do use office for mac 2008, iWork '09, various iLife apps such as iphoto, imovie once in a while, ichat, etc. Download music and movies from itunes since it seems movies from itunes are a bit cheaper than buying the DVD in stores. May burn movies to hard drive at times with handbrake.

1. I have the peripherals of apple display, bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse. Would it more useful and appropriate for me to get the refurbished Macbook Air with the stated specs above or the upcoming mac mini? I have enough money for either one.

2. Does the new gen of MBA get super hot like they said about the previous gens?

3. Anyone in the same situation? Not necessarily the same field of study.

4. How does having two macbooks compare to having a MBP and a desktop like Mac Mini? Better to have laptop-laptop or laptop-desktop (I have mobileme to keep in sync).

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I'm confused.

Do you have a bunch of money that is burning a hole in your pocket or some gift cards that need to get used?

It doesn't seem as though a Mac Mini or a Macbook Air would be that useful for you. You have a great notebook with great battery life and a great display.

3. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if I made a post that didn't flow well grammatically. I am tired and needed to know for my own sake, on this since I had this going through my mind for quite some time until I got some advice.

No I don't have a burning hold in my pocket full of gold ;). Just kidding. I got the MBP that came with the free ipod touch with student discount from my parents since I graduated from nursing school with my bachelors (big achievement for me:D). I bought the apple display, bluetooth keyboard, and apple tv refurbished from apple's website. I entered graduate nursing school this fall and I'm working for the nursing department and thus, I'm getting my tuition waived and receiving monthly salary for as long as I'm working there. Which I hope to graduate from FNP school in two years.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You already have a laptop and dont seem to have a problem lugging it around so get the Mini as it is more powerful/expandable than the Air

5. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I do not see any benefit of getting an MBA. Mini might be a better choice if you ever need to use 2 external monitors.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I definitely agree. If you don't have a problem toting your MBP around now you shouldn't really blow a ton on a macbook air. Get a mini for half the price when the new ones come out if you're looking for a desktop that would be on all the time (minis are REALLY energy efficient in idle mode by the way, only using 13W). It would compliment the 24" display well and you could use your macbook pro on the couch or on the go, probably giving it less overall ware. The 24" displays are great for hooking up to your MBP but hooking up 3 cords every time you want to use your computer can get to be a drag.

7. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys I really appreciate the super quick and efficient responses. I know I may have been wasting my time surfing the web for the answer. I ended leanng more toward the mac mini after reading these posts and yes a mac mini would be better and more efficient for me. I like the idea of leaving it on all the time as it uses less electricity on idle than a new cfl light bulb. Also since I got MobileMe I can use back to my mac and stuff.

I like the idea also of using both the mac mini and mbp as it would cause less wear and tear on the mbp. Thanks everyone. I will buy the mac mini but I was looking into the refurbished one but they keep running out on the apple website. I was then thinking I'll buy the low end model and upgrade the ram to 4gb. But then I will now wait for the new ones. When are they speculated to come out? I thougt it was by august 9...I'm willing to be patient and not inadverntly buy the current version.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

I don't know if they are coming out with "new" minis right now. They just updated them in March. If they did update them (remember, they weren't updated for a few years), it would probably be next year..

Why not get an MRain stand and an external HD?

9. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

What? Are you serious? So they're NOT coming out with new updated mac mini's?! So I couldve bought a
    mac mini already new or refurbished and upgrade the ram? Keep in mind te only refurbished mac minis I saw on apples refurbish site was the higher end model for $699 or rarely, the previous gen model.

10. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to let people know. I'm still living at home with my parents. So the money I make now goes to my phone bill though I'm still on their family plan and soon I will have to pay for cable road runner internet and cable TV. :rolleyes: I was so tempted to buy a new mac mini on ebay from Macman812 as he had a deal $899 brand new mac mini: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Apple-Mac-M...e_Desktops?hash=item1c0d146bc1#ht_1183wt_1167

But I decided that i will be patient and wait for the new ones. Although a brand new one from apple.com in the low-end model with 4gm ram was also tempting

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

There are really some good indications of an immanent mac mini update. It might just be a speed bump or something but its definitely worth waiting another month to see. You WILL kick yourself if something new comes out. It will probably bump the high end mini down to the low end, and bring a new high end one with better specs. Either way, be patient, as you already have the ACD and MBP fitting your basic and extrabasic needs.

12. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks tempusfugit! I will resist and be patient since there is a strong indication for new ones. My mom wants to buy an imac too but i'mma tell her to wait as well. :rolleyes:

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm just trying to figure out your need for a second system, since you've already got a uMBP and a 24" ACD. If you're just worried about wear and tear on your uMBP, don't be. Just get applecare and don't worry about it.

14. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

this is like the 4th post i've read today from spoiled brats just buying random things they clearly have no use for??? why would you even consider a macbook air or mini if you already have a mbp? also it doesn't sound like you even use your computer for anything besides general surfing/watching movies? what a joke.

save your money and move out of your parents house. if my daughter were 24 and still living with me i'd be completely embarassed for me and herself.

15. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Clyde2801. I am also thinking about the use of a second system. 1. Back to my mac? 2. Waste of money for me?

Has people used their MBP as their main workhorse and had little wear and tear considering they take meticulous physical care of their MBP? This is my first mac ever and although it's only a computer, its expensive and the looks of it gives it so much visual value. So I may just use my MBP as my sole work machine and not worry about it with applecare since I have the apple 24 ACD and bluetooth apple keyboard/MM.

I bought applecare from ebay from Macman812. View here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120451590138#ht_778wt_1167

For $162. The only problem is I've read the thread about don't buy applecare from ebay. :( Sometime next summer I was thinking about buying applecare from amazon for my MBP before the 1 year is up (July 2009). I keep questioning myself, why did I buy it from ebay? But then again, I've heard Macman812 is a legit seller. Can someone chime in on this? Sorry I don't want to stray away from the topic of this thread so I'll stop here about applecare on ebay.

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

Time Capsule.

All that stuff is worthless if you aren't backing it up.

17. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys, :D I decided for now I'll hold off on the mini and instead, I went and bought an iPhone 3GS 16gb for $199 with a new AT&T plan with the lowest minute plan of 450minutes/month and 1500 text. I was a tmobile customer but now switching since I wanted to use 3G speed with my iphone. I will be in the market for a mac mini or an imac later. I'm still deciding cuz if I get an imac, my family can use it in the living room and i'll still be connecting my MBP to my ACD and other peripherals. If I get a mac mini, i'll be able to hook it up to my current ACD and peripherals and keep my MBP disconnected? Any thoughts of which experience is more popular?

18. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Heres what happened tonight. I looked on apple's website and saw a $699 refurbished 2.0ghz with 320gb HD, 2gb RAM. Applecare was $99 but when i refreshed the paged it went to $145. Anyway, I didn't include apple care and was going to order this refurbished unit for $736. Then I thought hard about it and the thought of the new mac mini's came into my mind. I also thought, if I get the student discount, I may CTO to this: 2.0ghz, 120gb HD, 2gb RAM and attach my external 320gb Western digital HD which comes out cheaper than the refurbished unit. What ya think? All in all, i just want opinions but I will restrain myself and wait for the new ones.

19. puma1552 macrumors 601

I think you should get a Time Capsule instead of neglecting backing up your data. Not to mention, it's Apple, so it's seamless and elegant, and looks great on your desk.