Got MBP but get new MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by erasr, Jun 12, 2011.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Couple of newbie questions here. And yes, I know I should be able to make my own mind up! :)

I have a 2010 june MBP which I use for web design and some light music making stuff. I actually spilt Apple juice on it last year but it was fine except the Trackpad doesn't work. Which is now a bit annoying.

I do carry it around a bit and obviously a lighter laptop would be easier. So should I go and buy the new Air when it comes out? Taking into consideration I love the look of one and have been wanting one for ages now. I could repair the MBP but it may cost hundreds.

Also, Im concerned about the Air's memory, is it ever really a problem?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

If you decide to get the air I would pick one up at the refurb store :)

3. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

You haven't mentioned anything the MBA can't do and it is a great mobile experience.

You did not mention the configuration you had or what you are thinking of buying but I'd strongly consider the ram upgrade and recommend the CPU upgrade as a bit of future proofing.

As an owner of previous MBAs I can say I always found 2gb ram an annoying constraint. It's fine for very casual use surfing, email, light office stuff. But not great for multimedia work or vm work or much beyond light routine use. On the other hand even in pretty heavy use I seldom need more than 4gb. But an 8gb offering could turn this from a primary computer to an only computer for me.

4. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

i wouldnt use hd 3000 gpu machine as my main and only computer..

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

fix your trackpad. unless, of course, you want an excuse to get the mba :)

6. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

If trackpad is the only problem, try to see how much it would cost to repair it. If repair costs are high, you can justify getting the air and keep MBP as a backup machine or may even be able to sell it.

7. Ijustfarted macrumors regular