Got me self a new server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cabbit, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Hey folks i am now the proud owner of a CentOS dedicated server for my future web projects.

Now i have been quite happy setting up my virtual hosts and stuff for my domains with my terminal, however i would love to create ftp accounts so does anyone know a good ftp sever and configuration guide.

Have installed apache2, php 5.3.2, mysql, soap, and all sorts of other web apps but i don't know much about ftp server in order to set that up.

2. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Options were CentOS or Windows if i wanted it pre installed from the host.
    CentOS seems to be pretty standard for most web host now.

I chose CentOS as i am very familiar with Yum, and the general layout there has not been any problems with ssh from Mac OS ether.

There was a option to have Plesk or cpanel but this was extra, they tired to push these. Though i and my text reader are much happier with the terminal.

3. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

If you are already doing ssh from Mac OS, why wouldn't you use "sftp/scp" instead of "ftp"? That means it is already installed. I'm not sure if you need/want to do more configuration for the sshd daemon. Only thing is all accounts are tied to user accounts. If you're looking for "ftp only" accounts (tied to a 'master' user account), then I don't have any experience with such software and can't offer any advice.

If you stick with sftp, I think there are sftp/scp gui clients.

4. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

CentOS is a linux frame work that is just awesome, I have it on my server and lots of web host are moving to it as the server platforms for web hosting. That was an excellent idea jen. Have fun.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Don't use FTP. Use SFTP instead (FTP tunnelled over SSH).

That way all you need to be installed is OpenSSH (which you already do) which means one less port you need to worry about hardening. Less server side software running the better. Plus of course FTP passwords are sent in clear text so its pretty easy to get access to an account with too many privileges.

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

7. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Don't worry i installed a couple thugs with bats at the entrance to every port.

8. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

There is bound to be something on howtoforge.com It's a linux tutorial site, and a good one at that :)

9. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Well i got connected happily using sftp. I think what i am really looking for is virtual user accounts so i can create users that can only log into certain folders.

10. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I wouldn't call it a framework. CentOS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux that has been compiled (and red had's marketing removed) by some other folks. It is essentially Red Had Enterprise Linux, and can be treated as such for software installs and configuration.

13. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

We just started working with CentOS here where I work and it is awesome. Basically RedHat recompiled and named CentOS plus a few add-ons.