Carrier Got more than 4 lines on T-Mobile? No phone for you!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdlevi27, Sep 22, 2016.

1. sdlevi27 macrumors regular

Got more than 4 lines on your T-Mobile account? Be prepared for no new iPhone if you go to the Apple Store!

Here'a the letter I just sent to John Legere:

I reserved an iPhone 7 Plus using the Apple Upgrade Program for one my family lines. The reservation process was seamless on Apple.com.

When I arrived at the Apple Store the sales associate took my phone number and last 4 of my social to find our account. She then told me that the T-Mobile system would not allow her to upgrade the line because we had too many lines. We have 11 lines in our family plan (completely legit plan). She said she believes this happens for any plan with more than 4 lines on a plan, which sounds like an awfully low number.

This is where the frustration began. There was no initial workaround offered. She said she couldn't call for a manual activation. Worse, I understand how the SIM technology works. You can just swap the SIM with the old phone, and yet her system was forcing her to upgrade the line via T-Mobile, which was clearly deficient even though I have a perfectly valid plan.

At this point, she said "T-Mobile's systems are frustratingly bad" and that "I could open a line on another carrier". I'm not saying this to get the associate in trouble, she can only do what she can do with her tools. At this point, the associate basically sent us home where she suggested we order the phone from T-Mobile. I then escalated to the store manager.

In the end, a helpful associate was able to sell us the iPhone "without activation" at full retail price. He was extremely apologetic about the poor experience with T-Mobile.

I'll commend the staff at the Apple Store. In the end they did the right thing and I left as a satisfied Apple customer.

2. Kahsheh macrumors regular

It feels that Tmobile does not want you to buy from Apple. Just look at IUP - it can only be done in store and the EIP at TMo.

3. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, t-mobile's ordering systems are terrible. Hence, they are the only major carrier that was unable to integrate with apple, so that we can purchase IUP online.

I personally think this is all a little coincidental, customer are basically forced to purchase via tmobile directly.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    what makes matters worse is that most Apple stores have almost no t-mobile inventory

4. Kahsheh macrumors regular

I was at Apple Store earlier today to pick up a case. I overheard a guy buying an iPhone 7 and the associate said, we have all Tmobile in stock, what size do you want?

Anyway, I was curious so looked at the IUP link and there was no Tmobile at all.

5. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Plus.

Yep, you cannot purchase a T-mobile version IUP online. To be honest, I am not even sure why apple asks to verify the carrier for IUP, since you are making the purchase through them and it has nothing to do with the carrier.

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Had the same problem. The Apple Store in my area got creative, and by passed the activation step. You just need your own sim. I don't know the details, the apple employees went above and beyond.

7. Kahsheh macrumors regular

Agree. It is one way the carrier can charge us an activation/upgrade fee.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Was that also at Tmobile?

8. DonDadaT6 macrumors member

DonDadaT6

I've used Jump at the Apple Store twice. Maybe T-Mobile wants it to be inconvenient sure, but it can be done.

9. Kahsheh macrumors regular

Was that recent? They said no to me at the apple store.

10. DonDadaT6 macrumors member

DonDadaT6

It was last year with the 6s.

11. 5pctoff macrumors newbie

Does the 4-line problem still exist, or did they fix this recently?