Got my 12.9 iPP today, and...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ssledoux, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ssledoux macrumors 6502

ssledoux

I'm not real sure why I was tormenting myself over this decision so much. This thing is amazing!

Obviously I've only played with it for a couple of hours, and I may find it less convenient over the next week or so than the Air 2, so I'm not saying I'm 100% on board, but just after a couple of hours looking at it and handling it, the Air 2 seems really small.

2. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I really love my 12.9 Pro! Smart Pencil is great!

I know that you are not looking at the Smart keyboard but FYI...it is not backlit!

:)

3. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Oh yeah I got the pencil. That was my main reason for wanting to upgrade to a pro device. It is amazing!

Right now I think I'm just gonna use a cheapo bluetooth keyboard I bought my grandson that is basically the size of the regular Apple keyboard. It was $13, and I really only need it for heavy typing - I think I can use the keyboard on the pad itself for just basic stuff. If I want more down the road, I may go with the logitech setup.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If you're not put off by the size of it from the get-go, then you won't find that it will be less convenient. When I first received mine, I was a bit "traumatized" by the size and wondered if I'd have to send it back. That lasted about 3 days or so, and now it feels as convenient and portable as my Air 2 was.

I bought mine to replace both my Air 2 and 11" Macbook Air. With the addition of the smart cover and smart keyboard, it is very, very close.

5. Serban Suspended

yes but the big one really needs the smart keyboard....almost all your osx key shorcuts are there otherwise its just a bigger ipad with better sperakers than the air 2

6. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Well I guess I'll have to suck it up and get it then. I just want to be sure I'm definitely keeping it before I spend that much.

Does the logitech Apple is selling have the shortcuts? I like the keys on that one better.

7. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I have to agree about the Smart Keyboard. I do have to say I wish Apple left the split Keyboard option with the 12.9 Pro I am a strong guy so the weight is not an issue for me but the lack of the split option was. EVIL!

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I was in a very similar situation to you. I had a 13" MacBook Pro from 2010 and an iPad Mini 2. My original plan was to replace the iPad Mini 2 with an iPad Mini 4 and to upgrade to the new 12" MacBook. But when I saw the iPad Pro 12.9" in the Apple Store, I was really impressed and decided to try it out to see if it could replace both the MacBook and the iPad Mini 2.

For the first couple of months, I agonized over whether I had made the right decision. I also kept trying different cases on the iPad Pro to see if different cases and/or stands would help me be more productive on it. I kept my old MacBook Pro just in case, but found myself going back to it quite often when I needed to do serious work.

Then I finally gave in and decided to try out the Apple Smart Keyboard. All I can say is this accessory totally changed the iPad Pro for me. Currently I'm not using any kind of case with the iPad Pro, but I have it docked on the Smart Keyboard most of the time at my desk, and I haven't even used my MacBook Pro in almost a month. I have decided that I'm going to sell it as I no longer need it.

So I would recommend trying the Smart Keyboard. Even instead of other keyboards. Because of the way the screen sits so close to the keyboard, it makes touching the screen easy and not tiring like I would have imagined it would be. I actually find I prefer using the iPad Pro in "laptop" mode docked on the keyboard than in my hands like a normal tablet, and I have grown used to using all of the keyboard shortcuts. As for typing, I find the Smart Keyboard to be just as comfortable as the keyboard on my MacBook Pro. I suppose if you like to use it while on your lap, then it could be a bit more difficult. But when using on a table or desk, it works wonderfully.

9. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Congrats! Looking forward to receiving mine from an eBay seller!! The deal I got is nearly too good to be true but hopefully all is good and I get to try this bad boy - hurry up USPS!!!!

10. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

I use the Logitech Create Keyboard case which works wonderfully :) has all the function keys on top for brightness, volume, tracks, lock, search, etc

Backlit and sturdy, protects the whole iPad

11. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I also really love the Smart Keyboard. Haven't tried the Logitech so can't comment on that but they do make great stuff. The Smart Keyboard for me though was a game changer. With the keyboard in my lap this is really stable and confortable, it's honestly less strain than I get one handing my mini. In landscape with multitask the pro is just awesome. I also like how compact and light they made the keyboard while still providing a great typing experience. A lot of that may be true about the Logitech though I can't really say but I'm really loving the keyboard and don't regret it at all.

Glad you are enjoying yours I love it because it feels like a laptop but with touch and IOS it feels really fun and immediate. It really doesn't feel like a laptop or tablet to me which I actually seem to really enjoy. I'm kind of glad they don't have a full blown desktop OS honestly because I'd rather have something optimized for touch personally.

12. AlexJoda macrumors regular

AlexJoda

I am still thinking that a keyboard is not the most important accessory for an iPad. I am using a Smartcover with 12.9 iPP, because that fits best to the concept of a real tablet. If somebody likes these pseudo hybrid tablets (which are in reality more like underperforming but super expensive notebooks) he or she can buy a surface.....

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

I mainly used it for typing on here or reddit..

14. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

Like you i waited a long time to finally pull the trigger on the pro. Everytime i went to the store it just seemed so comically huge. So i wanted to wait until the new 9.7s came out, but a week before the event I decided i wanted a decice that wasnt just a media device but something i could use at work, take notes on comfortably like a full pad of paper, sketch and do rough layout mockups on (im a graphic designer), so i just said if im spending the money lets go all in!

As soon as I got it home and loaded up i had zero regrets. It didnt feel ridiculously huge anymore, it felt perfect.

The apple pencil is obviously amazing but im really surprised about how much i use and love the smart keyboard. It really makes it a complete device for me that i use every day at work and at home and not just a media viewer like my old ipad was and that im sure another 9.7 wouldve been.

Enjoy!

Ps, i also got the back cover to match the smart keyboard, hugely overpriced but it does feel and look nice.

15. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

If you're in the U.S., you can consider returning your Pencil (I assume you got it from the Apple Store), and buying both the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard from AT&T - see this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-usb-3-and-c-cables-20-discount-at-t.1965579/

It's a 20% discount, which is quite significant, although you'll need to add one more item which can just be a cheap $5 case.

16. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

Congrats. It's a great device and I was unsure for a while too due to it's size but I love the large display. I still find it cumbersome on occasion but would never go back to the 9.7.

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I also finally reached the point where I am comfortable using the ipp as my only computer. I look forward to using it every time I am away from it. I enjoy it much more than I ever did my MacBook.

18. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I would definitely recommend getting the Smart Keyboard. I had the Logitech create and it left two permanent lines on the screen. Read some reviews about it on Apple's website and you will see other users having a similar experience. Thankfully, Apple replaced my IPP and I bought the Smart Keyboard and I love it! It is a lot lighter and just as easy to type on :)

19. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Yeah I've pretty much decided to go ahead and bite the bullet with the keyboard. It's easy enough to take off and set aside when I want to have my pad sitting in my lap

20. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I was put off by the size, but wanted to give it a shot. Ultimately the lack of apps with the proper resolution forced me to go back to the 9.7. Hoping there is eventually a market for app development on the 12.9.

21. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

That's one of the things that makes it so great. You can just pull it off in 2 seconds when you don't need it.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

glad you are loving it,
    Best decision I made was buying mine.

23. sjleworthy, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

great news! another satisfied suc... erm, i mean customer :)

i'm loving every moment of my 12 incher and pencil too.
    my main used app - notability. i'm doodling and writing notes most of the day and the app hasnt actually been closed for weeks! just loving it.

And this 1st gen stigma couldn't be more from my mind with this particular 'pro' newbie. Apple is soooo much on top of it's game and it's manufacturing abilities it feels so much like a seasoned and tested piece of kit. Yup, it's going to get minor and major upgrades inevitably (the normal progression of tech), but general 1st gen gripes? non existent for me i'm happy to report.

as for the keyboard, one thing i notice are the magnetic grips are very very strong.

24. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 6502

ssledoux

I haven't used mine quite as much as I'd hoped because I was torn about which size to buy and didn't order my case and screen protector until yesterday. Both are due to arrive tomorrow. My keyboard may be a couple days behind that, but at least once I get my back case and screen protector on, and can lighten up about scuffs/scratches, I'll be using it non-stop.

I made the mistake of letting my 4 1/2 yo grandson write on it in notes last night; now he wants one. Poor baby - his iPad mini looked pathetic in comparison. ;-p

25. Azzin macrumors 68040

Same for me.

I had a 2012 cMBP and an iPad Air, I sold the Air straight away and it didn't take me long to realise that my Pro did everything I needed, so I decided to sell my MBP too.

I don't regret it for a second and as I'm going to be in the USA next month, I may well pick myself up an Apple Smart Keyboard (or maybe the Logitech one).