Got my 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro tonight!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JellyFish, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JellyFish, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

JellyFish macrumors regular

So far I'm very happy with it. I have not see any of the scrolling/lag problems that I saw mentioned in the reviews. It's quite a nice machine.

I fear that the 13 inch retina macbook pro has gotten a bit of a bad rap because of the integrated graphics. But I don't think it's a fair rap though because so far it seems quite zippy to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to post some positive comments here. A lot of the reviews have been negative about various things on this macbook, but so far I really love it. The 15 inch was just too big for my needs, but 13 inches is just right.

2. njean777 macrumors 6502

The problem isn't the lack of a dedicated gpu, it is the price they are charging on top of not including a dedicated gpu at said price. The price tag now wouldn't bother people if it did have a dedicated gpu. At least that is my problem with it. It is not impossible to include a dedicated gpu with a 13in computer, which is why people are angry that they want 1699 for a computer. that doesnt have one, that should have one with that price tag.

Also it only comes with 128gb of storage on top of it all, it should at least come with 256gb standard.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm ok with the HD4000; I wasn't expecting Apple to put a discrete GPU in there it'd add too much heat and additional cost.

See this is what does it for me right here; the upgrade from 128GB SSD to a 256GB unit is $300? Seriously? The difference in price from a 128GB to 256GB Samsung 830 is $200, even if you buy directly from Samsung.

4. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

Well, each of us has to decide what has value and what doesn't. I was fine with the pricing. I'm sure the next rev will offer even more bang for the buck. But I didn't want to wait and so far I'm happy with my new rMBP. :)

5. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

I coughed up the dough as 128 was a bit small for my needs, I went with 256. I was AMAZED at how fast the freaking SSD is though, I'd never had one before. It is way better than a hard disk. It's going to be great as the price drops on SSDs and the capacity goes way up. It does make this machine scream when opening files and applications, as well as booting up and closing down.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've seen the base model with the 256GB SSD on sale for $1799 over the weekend. If I needed to buy a replacement for my mid 2009 13" MBP, I'd bite at that price. :)

*edit* and I agree about your point on SSDs. I upgraded the HDD in my old MBP earlier this summer and I was blown away by how noticeable the difference was. I'm even limited to SATA II in my older model, and it is still impressive.

7. LookInToMyEyes macrumors newbie

LookInToMyEyes

8. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever want another hard disk after having an SSD. It's just so much faster, it sort of freaked me out when I first started using this laptop. I didn't expect it to be that fast. Then again, my old laptop is 4 years old or so, so WTF did I expect, right? ;)

----------

Thanks, will do! :)

I wish the Kindle app for Mac was updated to retina though. I installed it but the text looks like it is still non-retina. Hopefully they will update it soon.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, shortly after I upgraded my Mac, I had to upgrade the HDD in my PC. No turning back now!

10. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Congrats! I also got one for about a month now and I really love it. Couldn't imagine getting anything else and the display is a blast. The speed is perfectly fine. You notice stuttering only if you take much time looking for it, so I suppose you just don't :rolleyes:

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Congrats and welcome to the club of happy 13" rMBP owners! First round is on me! :cool:

12. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

Do you remember the review of this laptop at The Verge? They said it had lag/stutter or whatever. So one of the first things I did at the Apple store was to pull up that site on the 13 inch demo model. I didn't see any lag at all, so that made me feel more comfortable buying one.

I've also tried to hit image heavy sites to see if I could see any slowdown or lag but everything is quite smooth in Safari. I think whatever bugs existed seem to have been worked out by Apple already.

----------

Thanks so much. I am having coffee and browsing full screen in Safari. It's quite sweet. :)

13. racer1441 macrumors 68000

It's one of the best machines ever made, bar none.

14. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

loving my 13 rMBP, the best macbook I have had. I prefer this to the air, although that is slightly more portable. The battery life alone and the fabulous screen more than makes up for it. Got a great deal on Black Friday and got the base model, have over half the SSD unused, which is more than enough for my needs. Loving it!

15. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Congratis! Always nice with new gear.

Can you post the disk read / write speeds?

16. laughjimbo macrumors newbie

laughjimbo

I am seriously thinking of getting a rMBP 13" now, I went to my local apple store the other day to have a play and I was impressed. I have a 2011 MBP 13" at the moment which I installed a SSD into and love it but I do want usb 3 so wanted to update and pass my MBP onto my wife. The difference in weight and size will make all the difference to me so I think that I am going to take the plunge after new year and get a 256gb model, fingers crossed.

17. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

I am embarrassed to say that I was still in decide mode on Black Friday. I could have gotten a deal, but I dithered and hesitated. Then finally pulled the trigger a day or so late. Damn! :eek:

Grats though for getting your deal. When it comes time to upgrade to a new laptop, I will make sure I wait for that day! :D

----------

Is there a way to benchmark that and paste it into a message here? Sorry, I am not sure how to do it but would be happy to do so if you can tell me how.

----------

I think you will enjoy it if you do, though the 2011 MBP 13 inch is no slouch either. That's still a very good computer. But I don't blame you for lusting after the rMBP.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Post back and let us know how you like it if you get one.

18. laughjimbo macrumors newbie

laughjimbo

@Jellyfish, I know the MBP I have is very quick and with the samsung 830 256gb SSD it flies but I was waiting to see what the retina 13's were going to be like and I really do like it alot. I would not even consider changing at the moment but my wife is a teacher and she has decided after using mine that it is far easier to use than her windows laptop which is quite new. Just using pages alone she reckons she can save up to 3 hours a week doing her learning journeys on there compared to when she tried using word. She doesn't want a new one though but it quite happy to have my old cast offs, lol
    I'll let you know when I do get one as I am sure that I will, I don't need one at all I just want one, lol.

19. vikpt macrumors regular

Glad there's a thread like this! :) I'm considering on buying one asap :)

20. JellyFish thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think you will be disappointed by it. It's a very sweet little computer. I still haven't see any problems with mine. Safari is very smooth.

21. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I am truly happy for the OP but I don't understand threads like these. Wouldn't you expect this kind of satisfaction given the price you pay for these machines? If anything, I think all the rMBP's are even overpriced.