Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
First, I got the base model rMBP so 8gb RAM and 256 Hard Drive.

I have to say my screen is perfect, no IR or yellow temp, but I have to admit, there is some lag here and there but I have a friend with a maxed out 2013 rMBP and it lags from time to time just like mine so IMO the 750m won't help much with the UI lag.

So the thing is, I have istat installed in the computer and I'm seeing my free RAM being at an average of 200MB constantly, but if I go to activity monitor the swap used is always at 0

is that normal??

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say my screen is perfect, no IR or yellow temp, but I have to admit, there is some lag here and there but I have a friend with a maxed out 2013 rMBP and it lags from time to time just like mine so IMO the 750m won't help much with the UI lag.

So the thing is, I have istat installed in the computer and I'm seeing my free RAM being at an average of 200MB constantly, but if I go to activity monitor the swap used is always at 0

is that normal??

I wouldn't say it's a huge deal having your ram at only 200MB, the system handles itself pretty well. I will admit, it's definitely a different algorithm with Mavericks than it was with previous releases, but it still generally isn't anything to worry about. I am concerned about the lag that you are referencing. I have literally none of that on my late 2013 rmbp. I have the 15 inch with 16gb of ram though, so that could be why, but I would not say that stuttering in the OS should be something that you expect, or "accept"

The page file should be at 0, which I don't think that was your question, but just to throw it out there.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I wouldn't say it's a huge deal having your ram at only 200MB, the system handles itself pretty well. I will admit, it's definitely a different algorithm with Mavericks than it was with previous releases, but it still generally isn't anything to worry about. I am concerned about the lag that you are referencing. I have literally none of that on my late 2013 rmbp. I have the 15 inch with 16gb of ram though, so that could be why, but I would not say that stuttering in the OS should be something that you expect, or "accept"

The page file should be at 0, which I don't think that was your question, but just to throw it out there.

The lag is not constant, usually appear when the computer is under some load. For example when using FCPX or a couple of big science books in preview.

I know I should have got 16 Gb for FCPX but I just don't use it that often to justify the price

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

is that normal??

Perfectly normal. It's just Mavericks compressed RAM at work. As long as your swap is 0 and the memory pressure is green, you're fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.