got my 15rMPB...I have some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jomirrivera, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

First, I got the base model rMBP so 8gb RAM and 256 Hard Drive.

I have to say my screen is perfect, no IR or yellow temp, but I have to admit, there is some lag here and there but I have a friend with a maxed out 2013 rMBP and it lags from time to time just like mine so IMO the 750m won't help much with the UI lag.

So the thing is, I have istat installed in the computer and I'm seeing my free RAM being at an average of 200MB constantly, but if I go to activity monitor the swap used is always at 0

is that normal??

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I wouldn't say it's a huge deal having your ram at only 200MB, the system handles itself pretty well. I will admit, it's definitely a different algorithm with Mavericks than it was with previous releases, but it still generally isn't anything to worry about. I am concerned about the lag that you are referencing. I have literally none of that on my late 2013 rmbp. I have the 15 inch with 16gb of ram though, so that could be why, but I would not say that stuttering in the OS should be something that you expect, or "accept"

The page file should be at 0, which I don't think that was your question, but just to throw it out there.

3. jomirrivera thread starter macrumors 6502

The lag is not constant, usually appear when the computer is under some load. For example when using FCPX or a couple of big science books in preview.

I know I should have got 16 Gb for FCPX but I just don't use it that often to justify the price

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Perfectly normal. It's just Mavericks compressed RAM at work. As long as your swap is 0 and the memory pressure is green, you're fine.