Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
After lurking MacRumors for months, I finally ordered 24" 2.8ghz Imac on Black Friday and actually got it today (very fast shipping from China).

I was happy to see that Leopard came pre-installed. I also can't tell if there is any gradient issue, dead pixel, or freezing problem. All good signs.

First thing I did was check the spec to make sure it's what I ordered.

One nice surprise was my 750gb hard drive I ordered is a Seagate model (ST3750640AS) instead of Western Digital I was expecting. The formatted capacity is only 698gb but I guess that is a norm.

Another nice surprise was stock speakers on these Imac's are decent (considering I'm use to high fidelity system for my car and home). No bass but I may not need to purchase speakers.

Very happy and excited so far:D

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
That is pretty fast for a CTO.

How is it configured? 24"/?GB RAM/750G HD/W'less mouse?/W'less kybd?

And if you don't mind, what's the build week?

midorix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
24"
2.8ghz
1gb RAM
750gb HD
Wired Keyboard
Wireless Mouse

Born in Shanghai China
Birthdate: Week 48, 2007

GlennH

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
My 24" 2.8GHz iMac was also ordered Black Friday, shipped from Shanghai Tues 11/27, arrived here Fri 11/30. Leopard is pre-installed.

I do see a bit of a gradient using a white or light gray background. The right side is not quite as pure as the left, a slightly dingy appearance by comparison. It's not very noticeable though unless you really look for it. I'll have to see how I feel about it after using for awhile. For now I don't think it bothers me too much.

I tried to remove the 1GB stock RAM and install two Crucial 2GB sticks from Newegg. Only partially successful so far. I got one to go in, but the other one doesn't seem to want to seat properly; it won't "click" into place no matter how I try to wiggle it. I may have to get a replacement. I put the original stick back in no problem and am running with 3 GB right now.

apcpa2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Florida
I am sitting here on my new 24" ordered on black friday too. Got my Thursday and set it up last night. I upgraded the hd to 500 gig and put an extra 1 gig of crucial ram in. Working great so far. Doing my first time machine of all my music and movies now.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Great news. I just ordered my 24" 2.8MHz yesterday so I'm hoping mine has Leopard preloaded.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
24"
2.8ghz
1gb RAM
750gb HD
Wired Keyboard
Wireless Mouse

Born in Shanghai China
Birthdate: Week 48, 2007

The first full week of 2007 started on Sunday, January 7th.
The 48th week would start Sunday, Dec 2nd (tomorrow) which wouldn't make sense.
Apple must use Sunday Dec 31st as the week 1 of 2007 which would make the 48th week this week. :D

Congrats midorix they don't come much fresher than that.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Great news. I just ordered my 24" 2.8MHz yesterday so I'm hoping mine has Leopard preloaded.

While it certainly makes things a bit easier especially if you don't plan on doing an erase install upon receiving your iMac (as I did to get rid of all the languages and unwanted garageband loops and other stuff) it's really a better deal if your Mac ships with Tiger preinstalled with Leopard drop-in discs. Leopard is very stable and I have had no issues with it but it's always nice to get two OS's in the box rather than one in case you want to partition your HDD with Tiger on one side and Leopard on the other.
Java is still not updated in Leopard as well as some other things that need to be upgraded to work in Leopard so it's really a better deal to get a Mac with both OS's.

skuzzy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Cape Town, SA
Does anyone know how heavy these things are? I was looking at one but I couldn't find any weight data. I would imagine that they weigh a fare amount considering what is built into them.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Does anyone know how heavy these things are? I was looking at one but I couldn't find any weight data. I would imagine that they weigh a fare amount considering what is built into them.

Size and weight (20-inch)
Height: 18.5 inches (46.9 cm)
Width: 19.1 inches (48.5 cm)
Depth: 7.4 inches (18.9 cm)
Weight: 20 pounds (9.1 kg)4

Size and weight (24-inch)
Height: 20.5 inches (52.0 cm)
Width: 22.4 inches (56.9 cm)
Depth: 8.1 inches (20.7 cm)
Weight: 25.4 pounds (11.5 kg)4

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I'm in the same boat. Ordered BF and received 11/29th. I have been happy so far except for the gradient issue. It is definitely darker on the right side of the screen. Leopard was pre-installed. No dead pixels.

FYI:
2.8ghz
1gb (upgraded w crucial 4gb from buy.com deal, easy to install)
500gb

will check on the build date when I get home.

If I am unhappy with the gradient issue, can I exchange it at a local store or do I have to go through apple.com??? I did order from .com

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Apple sure sold a lot of iMacs on Black Friday! I bought a standard 24" one (business discount + BF discount = $1590!). Mine arrived 11/29 from Memphis and had Tiger installed. I am installing Leopard now, but I checked and didn't notice a gradient issue. Mine looks to be a week 46.

-steve

DerKommissar

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Hi all- I ordered a custom 2.8 ghz, 1 gb, 320 gb, 24 in. iMac on November 24th and received it November 30th. It came with leopard pre installed, and I don't appear to have any gradient issues either. Produced week 48 in Shanghai, China. Love it so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.