Got my 32gb iPad - now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Muscleflex, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

it's come with 3.2.2 - do I upgrade to 4.2? or should I stick with 3.2.2? i've heard of the orientation lock getting changed. i kinda like the idea of it with the switch hence wanting to stick with 3.2.2...

should i upgrade then? is 4.2 faster and better?

also - there's a stalled app that's not installed on mine (just a blank white square box with the words Waiting...) any ideas how i could get rid of it? it wont show an X when i click and hold on it... it just shakes. :(
    i dont want this on my new iPad...

thanks

edit: sorry, i managed to get rid of the crashed app by doing a soft restart. sorry, i should have thought about that first before posting... but i'd still like to know about whether i should go with 4.2 or keep 3.2.2 thanks

2. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

I would upgrade, honestly this new iOS4.2 is far superior than previous. Multi tasking (which is +1000), the screen brightness has gotten sharper/brighter, screen orientation sensor has improved.. Yes, the lock orientation has changed, but honestly, I like the idea of the mute switch more.. feels more like an iPhone. These are just .1 of what's new with the new update. Do yourself a favor and do it, you more than likely won't regret it :cool:

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Restart your iPad, and if that weird app is still there, do a Restore. Or just upgrade your iPad to 4.2.

I'd recommend doing the 4.2 upgrade. Why would you deprive yourself of all the new features over the functionality of a stupid switch?

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Go get Tinyunbrella and see if they are still signing SHSH for 3.2.2, I don't know if they are. But if they are you reserve the option to go back to 3.2.2 any time you wish which leaves you free to go to 4.2.1.

IMO you want 4.2.1 anyway so no big loss.

On the stalled app, is this a new unit or you buy used? I am guessing used in which case you just want to restore as new device.

5. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

+1 couldn't agree more with you.

6. bentrider macrumors member

I am not at all happy about losing my lock switch to a mute switch that I never use (only time I play audio through the iPad I have headphones on) but I would still DEFINITELY get iOS 4.2. Turns the iPad from a very nice toy into a genuine laptop replacement for most people. And get a case. I HIGLY recommend the Zoo Gue. Now that I have it, I only use my wireless keyboard if I have to write something over 500 words or so.

7. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Upgrade, come on that's just one lil switch, the iOS4 gives you big stuff like multitasking, AirPlay and more, you'll get used to it

8. Muscleflex thread starter macrumors 6502

haha thanks all. doubt i'll add music to this (not really a big music fan) but will definitely be putting LOTS of videos for use when i'm at the gym or travelling...

i'll update then tomorrow. too tired now and looking for free windows video converter..

also - i have an iphone (3g) and the charger both looks the same. people say the ipad charger is 10w but i've looked at whilst the iphone charger has an output of 5v 1a, the ipad is 5.1v 2.1a

so what gives? just because the ipad charger says 10w on the top in bold letters... i don't understand how it can give 10w when output on the sticker says 2.1w?
    and aint it better to charge batteries at a low rate? ie 1c of their capacity? (i dont know what the battery capacity is)
    thanks and apologies if it's been asked already

9. oli356 macrumors 6502

AirPlay won't ever be used though for the majority of people who have a iPad, or printing. I won't use AirPlay ever.. printing possibly if they actually improve it.

I've jailbroken mine and got a cydia app so the mute switch is now the rotation switch. Will NEVER use a stupid mute switch.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

On the 5v side 10 Watts is about 2.1a. I have several 1000ma (1 amp) chargers for my ipod that don't work on the ipad, displays not charging. Don't sweat it, chargers are super cheap on ebay.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

12. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

:confused: Why's that? You don't like multi tasking? Wireless printing? Keyboard enhancement, along with better responsiveness when rotation the screen?
    Man, you're sure missing out... same with anyone who doesn't do the upgrade. It's almost a "must have" for any iPad owner.

13. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

I like 4.2 a lot, even though I wish they had left the external switch as an orientation lock. It's really nice to be able to double click the Home button to get the multi-tasking bar, and then quickly flip back to an app I was using a few minutes ago.

For example, this week I was reading a non-fiction book about recent events and wanted to see what some of the people mentioned looked like. Double-click Home button, tap Safari icon, look up person in Google Images, Double-click Home button, tap Kindle, and I am back to reading my book.

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I have multitasking (a better version actually), I don't ever need to print anything (I don't even know where my printers are), and keyboard "enhancements" (yawwwwn). Enjoy 4.X.X, I'll stay where I am and "miss out" I guess

15. DigitalRanger macrumors newbie

..even though I've owned my iPad only for a month, I could not wait for the update simply because of the multitasking aspect. I have no hesitation recommending the upgrade - I have not looked back at 3.2.2 and can assure you I won't.

Now that you've got the iPad, get. GoodReader, angry birds and prosper.

16. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Don't waste your time converting if the movie files aren't that big anyways, download the VLC App from the App Store, it opens many video formats that the iPad usually can't open, It saves me years of converting on my iPhone

Why not? I find it awesome to wirelessly send music to speakers, I don't care about the video that much, I love how i can plug in my cheap netbook with iTunes home sharing to my home stereo and listen to all the music I have from my main computer, I think that AirPlay will slowly turn into a thing as the Dock connector did on many many devices