Got my brand-new iNsult 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Richie3000, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Richie3000 macrumors member

After reading the latest article on Apple's "stunned mis-understanding" of the signal strength bars, I am now officially, utterly iNsulted.

Really, Apple? Really?!

One of the most advanced technology companies in the world and your signal strength "formula" was wrong all these years? So now you're going to justify and remedy the situation by making the first couple of bars bigger?

Well, ***** me stupid Apple.

I honestly don't mind the signal issue, in fact, it hasn't altered my service one bit yet -- but this explanation is just plain insulting given my loyalty over the years.

We deserve better.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Really???

That insults your intelligence but the word "funnest" doesn't?

The word "iNsult 4" insults my intelligence.

3. Richie3000 thread starter macrumors member

Good, now we're all iNsulted.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope, I'm merely insulted, which is good as its not as pretentious as your iNsult.

5. Richie3000 thread starter macrumors member

My apologies. Perhaps I can reduce the font size of "iNsult" and make things all better.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I hate when people say, "REALLY, REALLY!?"

You're imitating a movie. Get your own personality.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I only used one Really, no comma, and no exclamation mark.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You only need to reduce the font size of the N so it matches the x height of the other letters.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm missing something here.

An AP article stating that apple used a formula that incorrectly displayed signal strength in prior models and has been corrected in iPhone 4.

Why is the OP insulted? :confused:

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

He's insulted because it is a BS excuse. Incorrectly displaying the bars does not account for the total loss of signal, can't load webpages for example, on the two iPhone4s I have had.

12. army91c macrumors 6502a

13. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

its the best antenna ever released .....
    iphone3gs don't lose signal ....but at the same exact spot iphone4 lose all the signals lol :rolleyes:

14. goombah88 macrumors member

Because displaying the signal bars wrong is completely unrelated to the dropped calls. Displaying and dropping calls are 2 totally different things. I'm not insulted, but it is a slap in the face. Apple is trying to band-aid the situation and make everyone think this is the only problem and a display change will fix it. Preposterous! Apple is hoping the masses will be too naive to see through this.

15. arod757 macrumors newbie

What movie is this from? My daughter has taken to saying that, and I'd like to know what film to blame for it.

16. Richie3000 thread starter macrumors member

I think they were referring to the Weekend Update segment on Saturday Night Live, the TV show.

17. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

18. JudasBlitzkrieg macrumors member

the excuse perplexes me. If Apple had been getting their figures wrong all these years, wouldnt the 2G, 3G and the 3GS show the same things? My 3G and 3GS always seemed to show the correct signal. They did show slightly lower in general than other phones, I just assumed they used cheap antennas to compensate for the cost of the rest of the phone.

I wonder if this software update is coming to the lower iPhones aswell. It would be interesting to see if it makes any improvement at all

19. Richie3000 thread starter macrumors member

^^^ Birth-control FAIL ^^^

20. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

If I understand it correctly, the software update is not going to make anything better. it's going to make things look worse so that when the phone loses signal it doesn't do it from 5 bars anymore, but from 1-3 bars.

It won't magically fix a hardware problem, but make Apple's excuse look more believable (every phone loses SOME signal when held in the sensitive spots, not ALL signal).

Does it matter? No. Why? Because the phone works beautifully as long as you don't hold it in that area for too long.

21. SlavKO macrumors member

For some people. There are a group of us who are also having 3g data issues unrelated to the 'death grip' issue.

22. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This thread is like a root canal on a hot day

23. big0mar macrumors regular

Newsflash, the 3GS dropped calls and didn't get internet too.