Got my D300 back yesterday and...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by luminosity, Feb 19, 2009.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I got my D300 back from Nikon yesterday, and I'd forgotten how heavy it is. I'd gotten used to my cheap, lightweight but still formidable N80. I had to send it in because of backfocusing issues, and I'm pleased to report that the recalibration appears to have worked :).

Of course, now that I've gotten into street photography, I'm not sure how good it'll be for that particular use. I needed it for sports, and I was constantly betrayed by backfocusing problems.

Anyone else have a good repair experience?

2. Fogtripper macrumors member

With Nikon?
    Had a F4s sent in for an overhaul a few years back, and it came back like new. Does that count?

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

My 80-200 is with them now, and I just approved the repair estimate a couple of days ago. They need to replace the AF-S motor, and the lens needs cleaning and adjustment. We'll see how it does when it comes back. This is what it needs to beat: http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/18892-2/80-200_resolution.jpg

4. H2Ockey macrumors regular

Dropped an 18-200mm when it was practically new, the lens itself seemed undamaged but it had a UV filter on it that shattered. Some of the glass made its way into the lens so it would "catch" while zooming and focusing.
    Was less than 2 weeks from the time I shipped to recieved back and it was better than new. I never did experience the zoom creep so many complain about with that lens but it definetly had a better feel when I got it back.

5. termina3 macrumors 65816

I sent my 24-70 in to them a few weeks ago, it took them nearly 10 days to fix it. Absurd... it was NPS, everything, and I called them to put a rush on it (twice). I needed the lens faster, and they just seemed unwilling to do it.

Although, it was funny, when I first asked how long the wait would be, phone support said they were behind schedule in NY; 4-6 weeks. I identified this as an NPS case and that turned it into 2-4 days (claimed; realistically it was longer).

The consolation to the lengthy wait was that they returned it via overnight FedEx, just as I'd sent it overnight.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I got the lens back today, and they did a nice job with it. They received the lens on the 12th, so that's a 2 week turnaround. They replaced the focus motor, lens mount, and a cracked lens scale cover, and cleaned and adjusted the lens. The post repair resolution test is here: http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/18986-1/80-200_resolution_post-repair.jpg. It wasn't inexpensive, but I didn't expect it to be (~$325 with shipping). Big improvement.

7. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Yeah both Nikon and Canon have insainly fast turn around times for repair.

I sent a EF 50mm f/1.4 to Canon via FedEx 2 day on a Monday, they got it on Wednesday, fixed it, shipped out Friday via FedEx 2 day and I got it back on the following Monday.