Got my first ADC display today--special drivers needed?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Wanting a vaguely matching setup for my new favorite PPC Mac, I bought an ADC display--2001 Studio 17"--on the way to work today for $40 in great condition. I won't get to hook it up until later this evening, but I was left with a few questions after reading an old review. It says that the monitor originally came with an important driver installation CD:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/apple_17_lcd/apple_17_inch_lcd.html

I'm going to use it with my DAG4 running Leopard. Will I run into any issues if I just plug it in and use it, or do I need to track down this CD?

Relevant information: I am using a taped 9600XT (shout out to bunnspecial and eyoungren's great advice :D )

Thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If your card does not have an ADC port you will need an A1006 converter.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It should be plug and play under Leopard-I have three ADC displays kicking around, including the exact one you have, and have never needed to install any additional drivers under 10.4, 10.5, or OS 9.2.2.

Have you added the "jumper" to your XT to allow it to draw power from the ADC power socket on the logic board?

4. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

:eek: How do you install the jumper? I was unaware that modification was necessary to get power from the XT.

eyoungren, my card does have the ADC slot, so I'm covered there.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Yep!

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Did you make a bridge tab to the power slot on card?

8. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I didn't make any modifications to the card other than taping. Based on the existence of the ADC port alone, I assumed the monitor would function appropriately (from a hardware perspective).

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The slot line up for ADC power between the G4 and the G5 is different. You have to bridge it with wire and soldering for the ADC port to work.

10. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Wow! That sounds hairy. Have any of you guys done this before?

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The front "tab" on the card ahead of the ADC port draws power from a +24V socket on the logic board.

The location of this socket changed from the G4 to the G5.

What was suggested in one of the guides-and works well based on my experience-is to cut three "fingers" off an old PC ISA card. This is the right width to fit down in the ADC power socket. You then solder jumpers from the ADC power tab on the G5 card to this piece.

I'm away from my Quicksilver at the moment, so can't photograph what mine looks like. It's a fairly straightforward addition, however. The only caveat is that if you look at the ADC tab on the 9600(or any other G5 card) it will actually have two contacts on each side. The front contacts, as I understand it, was used to give the power on signal from the display to the G5(a function handled by pin 3 on the G4, hence part of the reason why you need to tape this pin). When you solder the jumper, you need to make sure you only solder to the rear contacts(on both sides of the card) and don't bridge the contacts.

12. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Hmm. Sounds like a job for someone who doesn't suck at soldering (not me).

I might try for a 2-monitor setup now that I have this second display. Is there a PCI graphics card compatible with my DAG4 that has the old style of ADC out?

13. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

what is the 6 pin socket to the REAR of the AGP socket on a MDD?

14. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is an auxiliary power slot that Apple has never used.

No. No PCI card has ADC ports.

16. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Whoops! I misread the listing. okay--Eyoungren, how do you do it? those dreaded expensive adapters? Lol

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

There are no PCI cards with an ADC port on them-all are AGP. That card would also be a significant step down from the Radeon 9600.

If I had a spare(working) 9600XT I'd offer you a straight trade on one that I'd already modified.

18. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Thanks ;)

I guess I should probably just go ahead and tackle this modification. If you wouldn't mind taking a picture of your modification, I'd greatly appreciate it as it would help me locate the appropriate circuits. Thanks again!

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Will be happy to do, but it will be Friday.

I can't seem to locate the link that gave the instructions I followed to do it, or I would post that.

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

21. ptdebate, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Thanks, Intell!!!

This actually doesn't look that hard. I'll post results when I finish in probably a couple weeks. I need to order an old ISA card to steal pins from!

If I were to steal a wire from a molex cable, would that support the right amp/voltage rating? Or would I need something more heavy-duty?

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yep! Only they've come down in price lately. I have three of them.

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

24. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

To answer the original software-side question: No drivers are needed if you are on Mac OS 9.2 or later; or Mac OS X 10.1 or later. If you're on Leopard, you're golden. Even without drivers, it will display just fine, but the soft-controls won't work properly. (Can't adjust brightness, etc.)

The other side (not relevant in your setup, but may be relevant to others who find this thread) is that the lowest-end ADC cards can't handle the later ADC displays (20" and 23") resolutions. So, for example, a stock G4 Cube with ATI Rage 128 can only use the 17" and 22" ADC displays, not the 20" and 23" displays, unless it has a video card upgrade.

See Power Mac G4: Display Compatibility for more details.

25. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

PM me your address and I'll send some "fingers" to you. I think I can drop them in an envelope.

BTW, I think I used 24 gauge wire on mine and haven't noticed any issues. Calculating the current, however(somewhere around 2-3A depending on the display used) makes me wonder if I should go back and redo it with larger wire.