Got my first AW S2.... now I'm lost

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Freida, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

today marked the day when I received AW S2 as a present from my amazing partner and I gotta say that I'm a little lost on how to use/utilise it. As the OS is totally different from anything Apple I find certain things unintuitive and some i still don't know the answer to. Would yo mind helping me out, please?

1) Is there a home button? How do i get back to showing time without using the crown and navigating to time?
    2) What does the crown do except scrolling and taking me to the app world? And what does the other button do except taking me to dock?
    3) How do I set the AW to be connected to wifi if I don't want to have bluetooth on on my iPhone?
    4) If I go to a gym, which exercise program do i use? I tried other as it makes sense but is there anything better?
    5) Whatsapp notification shows up but can't read it - however, if i reply with a smile or anything it works
    6) Are there any good apps that I should get, please? Ideally I would like something for gym, maybe calories/food etc. tracking
    7) How do I remove the animated seconds handle from time (I just prefer to have minute & hour handles but no moving seconds)

Any other tips you guys have or would like to share, please? So I can utilise the tool properly? :)
    For me the best thing will be the notifications so I can completely switch off my sounds from my iPhone + workout tracking - I hope I can get some good tips for a good workout app

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

You're going to need to leave Bluetooth on as the Apple Watch is primarily a Bluetooth device.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

1) Is there a home button? How do i get back to showing time without using the crown and navigating to time?
    - The crown is basically the Home button -- it takes you to the screen full of apps, and if you press it while it's at that screen, it'll take you to the watch face. You can be panned to any far corner of the app field, and pressing the crown takes you straight to the watch face.

2) What does the crown do except scrolling and taking me to the app world? And what does the other button do except taking me to dock?
    - Hold the crown to invoke Siri; double-press the side button to start Apple Pay; long-press the side button to turn it off. If you need to, hold both the crown and side button to force-reboot the watch.

3) How do I set the AW to be connected to wifi if I don't want to have bluetooth on on my iPhone?
    - As you use the phone and watch, the information about wifi networks previously used by your phone will be transferred to the watch. The watch will try to automatically connect to wifi if it can't find your phone.

4) If I go to a gym, which exercise program do i use? I tried other as it makes sense but is there anything better?
    - Use whatever you want. There are a bunch of third-party apps you can try, too.

5) Whatsapp notification shows up but can't read it - however, if i reply with a smile or anything it works
    - That's up to the WhatsApp developers.

6) Are there any good apps that I should get, please? Ideally I would like something for gym, maybe calories/food etc. tracking
    - For calories/food tracking, try either Lark or LoseIt. For others... man, there's a bunch I've got downloaded but never bothered trying. I like my gym apps to be simple.

7) How do I remove the animated seconds handle from time (I just prefer to have minute & hour handles but no moving seconds)
    - Can't be done. Regular watches usually have seconds hands to make it easier to see whether they're working, so I think of it the same way on the Watch.

5. Illusionsoftime macrumors member

So you need bluetooth on your phone switched on at all times? Doesn't this affect battery?

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Hardly at all.

And if you're like most of us, you'll use your phone so much less that it'll seem like the phone's battery lasts longer.

7. jakerichva Suspended

Short press on the side button invokes the Dock, where you an put apps for quick access. Use the iPhone watch app to load up the Dock with the apps you want.

And do read the link Julien gave you. I have it on my favorites bar of my browser for quick reference.

8. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

ok, first 24 hours and read those things and kinda know more so thank you guys for your input. The button now makes more sense ;)

Anyway, anyone here who tried and can recommend good gym apps? The store is loaded with a lot of them but i would prefer personal experience, recommendation :)