got my first iphone 3g bill...arghhh...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JackSpearo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

206 bucks!

but what really makes me mad, is that they charged me for each aol instant message I sent/received!

I thought my 200 texts were just SMS's...but it includes AOL instant messages!

arghhhh!!!

I'm already over (210) and my bill recycles on the 21st!

the pain!

Jack

2. tehfrag macrumors newbie

Did you send your AIM messages using the SMS app, or the 3rd party downloaded AIM app?

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I have no clue why people just dont spring for the unlimited text/data plans.

4. View macrumors regular

Plz tell me it's the AIM using SMS and not AIM app from the app store.

5. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded the AOL instant messenger from the app store (the free application)

I thought it was fantastic, but the ATT guy just now told me on the phone, ATT considers it a text message every time you instant message

if you look on your data plan it says

SMS/IM

I never noticed it before :-(

6. tehfrag macrumors newbie

My thoughts exactly, I've done a lot of IM'ing with the AIM app, and the Palringo IM app.

7. View macrumors regular

I don't think that should be the case as the AIM app from App store sends data using GPRS/EDGE/3G, and shouldn't count as an SMS.

8. tehfrag macrumors newbie

Using the 3rd party AIM/Palringo app the only thing that shows up under the detailed section of the data info on my online AT&T online account is: "Internet/MEdia Net". No reference to anything SMS. Are you sure you were using the AIM app and not the built in SMS app to send messages?

9. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

wow that sucks big time, that would really change things if the APP is using text messages. everyone would have to spring for unlimited text or something

10. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Wow the AIM App should NOT charge for every message. I mean I chose unlimited texting, but people aren't supposed to be charged for using the AIM App.

11. Inukami macrumors 6502

What about using www.meebo.com ? Does that still count as SMS? Cause i used it a couple times online with MSN/AIM and i don't have a SMS plan, only unlimited data. Are they going to charge me for that? If so wtf i'm going to go complain o_O

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

WHAT!! please tell me you called AT&T and they resolved it...PLEASEEEEEE!! i have like 1000 txts...i dont need that many now that i got the AIM app, so i downed it to 200, but...if thats the case....IM UNINSTALLING THiS APP N GETTING MY 1000 MSSGS!

13. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

please someone find out if this is true! the App never said that you will be billed for text msgs by AT&T...this SUCKS!!!

14. Inukami macrumors 6502

So anyone know if using www.meebo.com on the iPhone 3G counts as SMS?

15. JWages macrumors regular

I don't see how it can be true. The AIM App uses the data connection to send/receive, and AT&T has nothing to do with it.

16. atluten macrumors 6502

It doesn't, it's counted as data because it's going through Safari.

17. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

The AIM application does not use TXT messages.

Please note that you still get charged for / or counts against your usage, any inbound TXT messages from others and any TXT messages that you send while not in the AIM application.

18. dnguyen macrumors regular

i just checked my bill and don't think i was charged AIM msgs as text messages. Under usage charges, the bill was $0.00, and i sent A LOT more aim msgs than my text plan.

on a side note, is how does ATT do the charges? Is the Activation fee added to your phone bill, and how do they charge for the data, since i got my phone near the middle of the month (7/16 or so)

19. Inukami macrumors 6502

i see, so why don't people just use that? It's very easy to connect and can stay in standby mode/receive messages when you get out of safari.

20. metman787 macrumors member

I don't see how they can charge u text messaging fees. The iPod touch has access to aim app but they aren't tied to a cell phone. I don't think apple would let AT&T do that

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah they gave the OP bad info.

He used more than 200 text messages, that is why he is over the limit. I don't know if the OP understands the count is incoming/outgoing.

If you receive 110 messages and send 100, then that is 210 messages.

The AIM app is not counting as sms messages.

22. Inukami macrumors 6502

When you get your bill they add the activation fee so it's: monthly plan bill + activation bill + w/e tax they add on to all that stuff.

Also if you didn't add SMS and sent/received tag some extra $+ on to that bill.

23. CharQuake macrumors member

24. ogdogg macrumors 6502

25. izibo macrumors 6502

No guff... post a copy of the bill or get out.