GOT MY FIRST MAC - Have questions.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mm1250, Oct 23, 2007.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Hello All,

Finally after over 6months of deciding, I finally got my new MBP 15'' today. I'm very excited, this is my first Mac. I of course will be showing up here more often as I will have questions. I'm considered a power user for windows PCs and hoping I can adapt to this Mac OS quickly.

I started up and setup my new Mac OS, first thing I notcied is the software updates, which seem to be alot, iLife and iWork updates along with system updates. Currently they are downloading. My question is, I am going to be getting the new Up-To-Date Lepoard Disc hopfully on the 26th. Will I have to do another update of all the software again after the lepoard install? I plan on doing an "Archive and Install".

I have several gigs of itunes music setting on my PC box. I see its all stored under the "My Muisc" folder in windows. If I just copy the itunes folder to my Mac's Music folder will it flawisly copy all my music?

Also, anyone have any good links for Mac download sites for software?

Thanks,

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Software updates will remain after installing Leopard.

Copying your music to your music folder will copy the files, you'll have to drag them all into iTunes once they're done copying (keeping your stats and stuff is a different story if thats what you want).

www.versiontracker.com is my download spot of choice no matter what OS you use.

3. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

First, there's really no reason for you to do an Archive and Install. Your Mac will be 3 days old when you install Leopard. Anything but a straight Upgrade install is overkill. That being said though, if you were to do an Archive and Install, that would take everything you currently have and put it into a folder named "Previous System" and install Leopard fresh. You would then just have to transfer your iLife applications from the Previous System's Applications folder to your new Applications folder. But again, doing that would be rather silly given how new your computer is.

You can't copy your iTunes folder directly from your PC to your Mac. Your Mac won't know what to do with the Windows program files. Just copy the actual music files to your Mac and then import them into iTunes. I find it's best to copy all of your MP3's to a folder on your desktop, then set your iTunes to keep your iTunes Music Folder organized, import everything, and then delete the folder from the desktop. iTunes will put all of your music into your Mac's music folder and organize it by artist/album/etc.

Apple.com has some great widget downloads.

Welcome to the other side. You'll find it's nice here. :)

4. mm1250 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm looking to transfer everything including all my playlists and stats as you said.

5. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

It just depends, here are some good programs to use:

Media: iTunes for music, of course. However, VLC is awesome for watching movies, you can almost view or open any type of file.
    Web Browser: Safari, Firefox, or possibly Camino
    Instant Messaging: Adium
    Video Encoding: VisualHub (costs $23)
    Media Burning: Toast 8 (costs)
    ZIP Utility: StuffIt 11

You might also want to check out QuickSilver, that application is awesome once you know how to use it. It quick launches any programs, files, and you can make it do simple tasks as well.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12