iPad Got my iPad Air replacement but...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeoiPad, Nov 13, 2013.

1. NeoiPad, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

NeoiPad macrumors member

UPDATE:

I finally got a perfect one this morning!!!

My iPad Air had the yellow to blue display issue and today I went to an Apple Store and they gave me a new one
    It seemed that it didn't had the issue so I accepted it

But now I realized that it has a huge backlight bleeding in the bottom left corner

So I will have to go again to the Apple Store

I don't understand why.
    Since the iPad 2 launch Apple has known that the displays are an issue, but they don't fix it

I don't understand it

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It happens. Ill admit that reading this forum makes it seem more widespread than it actually is. Go and make them get it right. It will work out.

3. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

I think this is widespread, but casual consumers don't even notice these faults

They are not as perfectionist as we are

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If it doesn't bother them, it's not a fault.

The other day, I was using one of my iPads and I happened to be in a dark room with a dark screen -- I forget if I was playing video or had turned on "night mode" in a reading app -- and I noticed a bright strip of light at one of the screen edges. Hm, thought I, this must be the light leak people talk about! But I'd been using that iPad for at least a year and it never bothered me before. And did it really bother me now? Not really. I shrugged and continued using my iPad.

So Apple could spend millions and perhaps billions of dollars trying to fix this "problem," but it is probably just more cost effective to accept a few exchanges from the OCD folks.

5. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

OMG, and let me guess you can only see the 'light bleeding' when you have it on a pure black screen. Look at black screens much? I had a previous iPad air with 'light bleeding' and never had an issue with it in normal use.

6. Caithsith macrumors member

Because most of what we read here are people complaint. they talk less about how they are happy with the product they buy

7. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Agree. It took 4 tries for me to get an iPad 4 that I was happy with (first 3 with yellow areas on the screen) and another 4 tries recently to get an iPad Air that I am happy with. I am keeping the 4th although it does have that slight yellowish area on the left in portrait mode. These imperfect iPads were not all from the same shipment or even the same store in some cases. Call me OCD but I want a uniform white screen on my iPads. My first iPads had them (1, 2 and 3) and I eventually got one on my iPad 4 but am going to settle for a not quite perfect iPad Air. It drives me crazy that the ones in the store all look great but I can't get one out of the box that looks like those.

8. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

I noticed it in a blue screen
    Then I turned off the lights and I realized that I was right, there was a light leak

9. zooby macrumors 6502a

Idk man. I'll take a silly light leak with a cool uniform screen over the two tone 'yellow to pink' screen that everyone seems to have. Careful cause you might end up with a screen like the one you first had.

I don't get how some people can afford to get so many exchanges either. They put a limit after my first replacement when I came back the next day for the same issue.

10. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Beware of playing the exchange game or you might just end up with something even worse than what you had. I got crucified on another thread for raising the issues I'd been having, but I think it's clear now that the Air's screen, as beautiful as it is, has some defects.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Millions of manufactured iPads it would be impossible to get them all perfect. And I think we all can agree the uses on these forums are a little more critical then most.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is a true statement in my opinion, but it doesn't invalidate the belief that the problem is greater than is reflected by the handful that complain here. Apple will rarely if ever acknowledge the issue even if they quietly behind-the-scenes deal with their manufacturing subcontractors to tweak the manufacturing process.

It has been my experience that waiting 3-4 months after the release of a new gen iOS device results in a greater probability of receiving a defect-free unit. Although I had no problems with my day-1 iPad1, once I heard complaints about the iPad 2, I waited 3-4 months before upgrading, and then (after skipping 3) waited 3-4 months after the release of the iPad 4... again flawless.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Unfortunately, that doesn't prove anything. How do we know if you didn't wait 3-4 months, but you got all your iPads on release day, they wouldn't have been flawless also?

14. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

I've just taken this picture

It's less noticeable than in the picture, but it really bothers me while watching YouTube videos

[​IMG]

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't know and don't care. It is common sense that as time goes by that the bugs are worked out, overall quality improves, and therefore the probability of getting a defect-free unit increases. THAT is what I care about. You want to buy a release day unit, go ahead I'm not trying convince you that you shouldn't...

16. ABSjazz macrumors member

ABSjazz

Yours looks nearly identical to mine. I don't really have much of a yellowing issue, but the bottom left corner seems to be slightly dimmer. And black backgrounds with moderate to bright backlight settings show the same patches of light bleed. I had display issues on my iPad 2, 3, and now this Air. Love the products to death, but this is annoying.

17. ABSjazz macrumors member

ABSjazz

Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know I exchanged mine this evening. The new one is miles better. Very slight bleed about halfway down on the right edge. But only visible at max brightness on black screens. In other words unnoticeable in normal use.

For what it's worth, my first one that had the issue was serial "DMPL" and the replacement is "DMQL". Very pleased with this one despite the ever so slight bleed. Good luck to all with issues.

18. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member