Got my iPhone today, need your advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djearlybird, Sep 25, 2007.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

FedEx came today with my iPhone. I was very excited about it coming, till the last 24hrs or so with all of these update developments. I want to use it on t-mobile. If you were me, do you unlock the phone now, or wait till after the update comes?

It just kills me that it is here, and I am leaving it in the box (for now) :(

2. Marcjcd macrumors member

As much as it KILLS you... I would wait to unlock until they release 1.1.1 and then see what the boards say about unlocking with the new update!

3. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

Personally I wouldn't bother unlocking it. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

My 2¢

4. Spanners macrumors member

You could aways use the right software to activate it. This does nothing to the actual phone, other than put a a few files on the disk. Then you can play with it but not use it to make any calls.

Or just buy a AT&T PAYG sim and use that. That will work fine once you've activated it.

5. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I am currently a t-mobile customer

6. showtime macrumors 6502

You could also unlock it before they release the new firmware and just not update until it's been hacked. That way you get to use your phone on t-mobile right away.

7. overcast macrumors 6502a

Why do you want to use TMobile? What's the difference?

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

He probably has a contract with them.

9. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Their prepaid plans are far superior ($100=1000 mins good for 1 year), and I never get dropped calls like I used to on AT&T prepaid :apple:

10. overcast macrumors 6502a

and what about data and everything else that the iphone requires. Honestly if you are spending $400 for an iphone, just get the cheapest plan (which is cheap). It's not like you are breaking out of a tmobile contract. $100 for 1000 is a ripofff. I've been using cingular/at&t for the last 7 years at least and have never had a single issue with dropped calls. Like ever.

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

well speak for yourself, I switched over from Verizon and I can tell you that AT&T's network is far inferior... but still I'd much rather have an actual AT&T plan linked to the iPhone so I don't have to worry or deal with future re-locks, etc.

12. overcast macrumors 6502a

I am speaking for myself, whom else would I be. Look at that coverage map on AT&T's site and see for yourself where you live. Dropped calls could be caused by your phone as well. I've never honestly experienced one until I was driving across the country in weird locations.

13. projectle macrumors 6502

The difference is this...

With T-Mobile, you have MyFaves, so that you can call your only 5 friends as much as you want, not using minutes.

With AT&T, you have rollover minutes, so that you never have to worry about calling the friends that you don't have because whenever you find one, you will be able to talk all day, every day with all your saved up minutes.

Enjoy!

14. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

You guys are getting off the topic..just answer his question....

what i would do is just unlock it..but DONT update to 1.1.1 until someone hacks it (and until the dev team comes out with the re-locker)....so basically you get to use your phone...

15. Pass2Yao macrumors member

Before you unlock it, I would check the firmware of your iphone just to make sure that it has not updated already. I am in the same boat as you. I just got my iphone this morning from fed ex as well..and I found this post that tells you how to check your firmware:
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8221

I'm waiting to finish work and head home to check mine. good luck!

16. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, this is very helpful.

17. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

bingo;)