Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
Thanks for reinforcing my point for me. You do have a say... your parents make it for you. Your parents vote for the school board; the school board selects the superintendent, and the superintendent hires the principals. All those people are duly elected or appointed for the purpose of running the school system. And they've decided how best to run the schools.

Just in case you forgot, though... minors don't get to vote in real elections. It's a privilege you earn when you become old enough.

do you really think parents look that deep into it when they vote for superintendent come on

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
jiv3turkey748 said:
do you really think parents look that deep into it when they vote for superintendent come on
Maybe yours don't, but some do. If you don't like school policies, your parents have the power to vote for someone else when the next election rolls around... or they can talk to the principal when they pick up your iPod about how unfair you think the rule is (in whole, or in part).

But I imagine the principal will echo virtually everything I've said here. Next time, keep your iPod where it belongs: in your backpack, out of sight.

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
clayj said:
So? Are you telling me that you can't go 6 or 7 hours without listening to music?

with difficulty i can
what im saying is that i cant go that long without a nice break...i stand in line 5-10 minutes because our school has about 700 people for each lunch all buying food at one time and i spend the other 10-15 eating so i really dont have time to talk most days and when i get that rare extra time i like to spend it having fun

clayj said:
Thanks for reinforcing my point for me. You do have a say... your parents make it for you. Your parents vote for the school board; the school board selects the superintendent, and the superintendent hires the principals. All those people are duly elected or appointed for the purpose of running the school system. And they've decided how best to run the schools.

that would make the superintendent representative of the parents wouldn't it? i still dont get a say...the only place where students can voice their opinion is in student council and even then it doesnt matter if the school board doesnt approve

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hector said:
i dont take English, in the UK you specialize in the four subjects you like at 16 and then three at 17, thus i do what i actually enjoy physics maths and electronics, not being stuck in lessons which i'm held back by my dyslexia.

That wasn't for you.. it was four our Hot 'Lanta friend who doesn't have the time for punctuation or capitalization.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
AmericanIdiot12 said:
with difficulty i can
what im saying is that i cant go that long without a nice break...i stand in line 5-10 minutes because our school has about 700 people for each lunch all buying food at one time and i spend the other 10-15 eating so i really dont have time to talk most days and when i get that rare extra time i like to spend it having fun
Not to sound too condescending here, but I have to say it... Aw, you poor baby. Suck it up. I'd hate to see how you'd deal with being stranded on a tropical island. Or when you move out into the Real World and have to work an 8-hour day.

AmericanIdiot12 said:
that would make the superintendent representative of the parents wouldn't it? i still dont get a say...the only place where students can voice their opinion is in student council and even then it doesnt matter if the school board doesnt approve
Welcome to not being 18. You still have the ability to try to influence your parents' vote.

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
clayj said:
Not to sound too condescending here, but I have to say it... Aw, you poor baby. Suck it up. I'd hate to see how you'd deal with being stranded on a tropical island. Or when you move out into the Real World and have to work an 8-hour day.

once you count classes, class changes, bus rides, and homework...school lasts 9-10 hours

that doesnt include my job on the side which i usually work 5 hours in the week and 9 on the weekends, guitar lessons, church, and key club (community service)

plus most people are allowed to listen to music at work and i know it must be tough (maybe not for you but for many) to telecommute and work only about four hours but getting credit for eight (i know someone who does)

not saying school is harder than all jobs but it definately compares to most

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
AmericanIdiot12 said:
once you count classes, class changes, bus rides, and homework...school lasts 9-10 hours
Yes, but you're allowed to listen to your iPod on the bus, right? And homework doesn't count, because you can do whatever you like (music, TV in background, etc.). I'm talking about the period of time where your iPod is off limits.

AmericanIdiot12 said:
that doesnt include my job on the side which i usually work 5 hours in the week and 9 on the weekends, guitar lessons, church, and key club (community service)
All of which you volunteered for, I would assume. (Except for maybe the church part.)

AmericanIdiot12 said:
plus most people are allowed to listen to music at work and i know it must be tough (maybe not for you but for many) to telecommute and work only about four hours but getting credit for eight (i know someone who does)
You're wrong there. Most people are NOT allowed to strap on their iPod at work... anyone in retail, the restaurant business, a tech support environment, office jobs (banking, etc.), and most other normal jobs do NOT have the option of putting on headphones for any reason while they're working... the reason being that you have to interact with other people and headphones make it look like you're not working or don't care.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
clayj said:
Yes, but you're allowed to listen to your iPod on the bus, right? And homework doesn't count, because you can do whatever you like (music, TV in background, etc.). I'm talking about the period of time where your iPod is off limits.

we cant listen to the on the bus either

AmericanIdiot12

macrumors regular
clayj said:

definately cant listen to it on the bus

clayj said:
You're wrong there. Most people are NOT allowed to strap on their iPod at work... anyone in retail, the restaurant business, a tech support environment, office jobs (banking, etc.), and most other normal jobs do NOT have the option of putting on headphones for any reason while they're working... the reason being that you have to interact with other people and headphones make it look like you're not working or don't care.

true but im talking about radio/speakers in jobs behind a desk
(which does not include mine...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.