Got my Mac! -- and a question....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GoKyu, Jan 22, 2008.

1. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

The day I've been waiting for, my Mac Pro *and* extra RAM came in today!

This is my first Mac, and getting used to how it works diffently from Windows will take some time, but the initial experiences are great.

This system is 99.9% quiet - you can barely even tell that it's turned on! I just installed Lightroom, and Photoshop is up next.

Of course I did take unboxing photos, just need to edit a bit, and I'll upload a slideshow later today.

On to the questions...

1. Darthraige was telling me about setting up a second optical drive (using cable select), so I did, plugged everything back in securely (even checked twice), but the Mac isn't recognizing it. The drive is an HP 640 Lightscribe DVD burner. Works perfectly in my PC.

2. I'm using my new wireless Mighty Mouse, and I increased the tracking speed to full, but it doesn't zip around screen nearly as fast as my PC mouse did. Is that just a function of the mouse, and a different one might be faster?

Thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement - looks like I'm officially a switcher :)

-Bryan

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

You did check to see that the primary optical drive was also set to Cable Select, right?

3. Toups macrumors regular

The mouse movement speed is determined by the OS, not the hardware

Have you turned sensitivity to max?

4. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Erik: That was the first thing I checked, it was definitely set to "cable" (the others were "master" and "slave")

Toups: I'm looking in the Keyboard & Mouse area under the "Mouse" tab, and I don't see an option for sensitivity. The only options I have are Tracking (set all the way to FAST), Scrolling (set about midway) and Double-Click (set almost to Fast.)

Thanks for the replies so far!

-Bryan

5. au-student macrumors newbie

I have the same mac-pro as you and my second optical drive wouldn't work either. HERE WAS MY SOLUTION:

Move the Superdrive to the lower slot and put your 2nd drive in the first slot. Keep both on cable select. Worked like a charm.

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

The mouse sensitivity is a software issue, but it is also a hardware issue. Some people really like the mighty mouse, but I personally couldn't stand the thing. I ended up buying a logitech mouse. The reduced sensitivity is definitely a mighty mouse "feature." I'm not sure why, though.

Those of you who are doubters, take a plain old USB mouse from somewhere else, just a cheap logitech or microsoft one, and plug it in at the same time as the mighty mouse is plugged in, and you'll notice that the generic mouse covers the screen at a faster rate, regardless of what OS X is set to do.

7. Rowlander macrumors member

Good to hear that it´s quiet. The ATI-card is probably a little quieter than the NVIDIA but I hope it will be quiet overall too. The humming of my current PC is slowly starting to annoy me.

Waiting for the pictures.