Got my Mac Pro, having some display problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Avenger, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Avenger macrumors 6502

Today, I finally brought home my new 2009 Mac Pro with the 2.66 quad processor but I am having a display problem. The Geforce GT 120 card has a mini displayport output and a DVI output. I attached my secondary monitor, a Sony HDTV, to the mini displayport output on the card using Apple's mini displayport to DVI adapter and then using a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV. For my primary monitor, a relatively older 24" LG computer display, I connected to the DVI output on the GT 120 card and used a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the monitor.

The problem is that if, while the mac is running, I either turn off the LG monitor, switch its input, or allow the OS to power it down while idle, the display loses its settings when it either comes back on or I turn it back on. The screen is squished and I can not fix it using the display preferences. Seems like when the monitor loses the connection to the Mac, it won't re-establish it when it comes back. I am forced to reboot the Mac.

This does not happen with the Sony HDTV that is my secondary display. The LG monitor also has a VGA input connection as well which I use for my IBM PC right now. Should I start playing musical chairs with the connections and try going from DVI to VGA with a dongle? Or maybe try swapping the connections to the monitors? I like having the DVI output on the GT 120 going into my primary LG display since it seems the Apple boot screen with the Apple logo comes up on the display connected to that port.

If anyone has had something like this happen to them before before or has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

From experience, the more adapters you have, the more chance there is of something going wrong. Why not use a MDP to HDMI cable for your HDTV and straight DVI from the other port on your GT 120?