Got my Macbbok Pro from Amazon, but NOT perfect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

I just got my second 2.5GHz macbook pro from amazon. I am not happy to have it because:

1. I expected to have a macbook pro which is manufactured recently. however, I ordered my macbook pro this week and it was manufactured on March 28. The one I ordered on April was also manufactured on the exact date.:confused::confused::confused:

2. there are some slight scratches on the upper lid. does it mean that it is an open-box product?

3. there is a dark dead pixel on the right-hand corner.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

1. Amazon likely orders stock from Apple when needed. So you're not necessarily guaranteed one fresh off the line (unless of course, the model in question itself is fresh off the line.

2. As far as I'm aware Amazon does not sell refurbs. But I could be wrong. Do you have a link to the page that you ordered it from?

3. That, of course, always sucks, but you are under warranty. I'd take it in to an apple store if one's nearby.

3. johnsy macrumors 6502

What difference does it make WHEN it was manufactured, if it is most recent model and that is what you want? I mean it is not a vegetable-:p:p doesn't spoil, besides warranty starts from the date you bought, not form a day it was manufactured. Last MBP revision was February 28, so you got the latest model?

Unless of course you got old model, because Amazon, macmall and others stock older models too, and most of the time it is very hard to distinguish is it a new or old model.

4. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys!

Thanks for your responses. I just called Amazon and talked to a CRS nicely.

The CRS is very kind and asked me to return it for a full refund and reordered the macbook pro!

About the restocking fee? The lady promised me that Amazon would not charge me the 15% restocking fee for this order.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Amazon rocks. Logitech "lost" my rebate, they paid it to me in cash same day that I asked about it. They refund shipping if things are a day late, I have prime so I get everything over-nighted... they're great. The only bad experience I've had is when my card was incorrectly denied (they still charged me, wasn't a pending charge) and their ****wit Indian phone team couldn't make heads or tails of the issue. My bank did a chargeback and I got a lengthy apology from someone who speaks English.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

yeah, Amazon is fantastic. I've caved in and bought from Apple directly a few times and always regretted it. Not that Apple has bad service, but getting things replaced is more difficult than with amazon and they're fussy about it too. With amazon, you just fill out the online return center form and then send it back. No questions asked. With Apple you have to talk to multiple levels of support, troubleshoot and it often takes a long time on the phone. They also often take time to ship... amazon is simply unbeatable, even with the taxes for NY!

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK... Gotta ask.
    cause.. I don't get it :rolleyes:

Why do people not order direct from AppleStore?
    Is buying from a third party better? more competitive rates perhaps? Better deals?? What makes Amazon superior?

Personally, I prefer brick and mortar stores...

8. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I purchased my MacBook from Amazon and it was perfect. Came with a nice LG screen too. When you purchase from Amazon they usually have a $100 rebate and no sales tax which saved me another $100. So I got my perfect Black MacBook from Amazon for $200 less than I could have purchased it from the Apple Store. :)

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

why don't you people understand that on defective laptops/products from apple or not from apple Do Not Have A Restocking Fee.

10. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

11. eyespii macrumors 6502

for one thing, amazon doesnt charge tax to most states. that alone on a $2000 MBP could save almost $200! Plus, they're priced lower too, and give you a rebate on top of it.

case in point, I think I ended up paying $1670 after rebate for my 2.4 penryn a few months ago! If I had bought at the apple store I woulda paid around $2170 after tax, so I saved roughly $500! plus they accepted my first couple of returns no questions asked!

I <3 amzn!

12. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

you're covered under applecare, send her back for repairs :)

13. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

You guys are right.

Don't say I am so picky.

You spent $2500 for a laptop and everyone wants it to be perfect. LOL

My replaced MBP will be here at noon.

14. James L macrumors 6502a

The scratch and the pixel thing I get.

I still need to know though, what difference does it make when it rolls off of the assembly line?

15. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I think it's more a question of being able to get a problem acknowledged by the seller as a defect. A wobbly MBP with a 0.25-inch lid gap, scratches and dead pixels right out of the box is clearly defective. Amazon acknowledges it as such and treats the customer correctly. Apple often does not.

16. PDE macrumors 68020

Exactly. With amazon there is no problem returning a computer for issues that Apple often would claim to be within specifications (a term Apple geniuses like to use when they don't want to help). With amazon they immediately send out a new one before they even receive the other one. It's fast and there's no need to argue with anybody. Whenever I take back a laptop to the apple store, I'm prepared for battle and feel nervous and defensive before I even talk to somebody. These guys are not trained to evaluate anything but the most obvious hardware defects.Things like LCD issues (yellowing, grain, scan lines, uneven backlight etc), sound hissing, case wobble they aren't able to see or hear. Not to mention that apple stores must be among the worst places possible to do any kind of troubleshooting because of the noise and bright lights.

I definitely prefer Amazon over Apple because I know amazon will stand by what it sells while Apple will take my time on the phone doing stupid troubleshooting that anybody could figure out won't help, and then they'll take their time shipping the new computer too. This is not even considering the much better prices and much longer return period at Amazon.

17. johnsy macrumors 6502

it has something to do with the smell- fresh off the assembly line has that "new and fresh" smell compared with some other laptop which was sitting for months in a box. :D:D

18. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Okay. Thanks for your help!

I just got my second 2.5HGz Macbook Pro after the replacement and this one is PERFECT! It was manufactured recently (June 14, 2008) and no dead pixel or scratch.

It smells sosososo fresh.

Amazon rocks!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good to know you have a satisfactory machine, now jokes aside, why do you want to a recent one? If you tell me you like the new computer smell, you're an idiot if you like to smell toxic chemicals. :p

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I agree.
    I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago and it said it was an "early March" computer as well. I ordered mine from Apple. :apple:

21. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

Cyanide? :D

22. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about the confusion. The only reason for getting a recent one is that I was told that the recent one does not have LED messing up issues. I know, that's rumor and has not been confirmed.

Anyway, my new MBP which is manufactured in June is fine now.

23. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

24. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

cyanide and happiness, to be precise. :)