got my MacBook Pro 2016 repaired, control and option keys now have weird symbols on them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VertPin, Jul 6, 2017.

1. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

uhhh

I swear it used to say "alt" above the option key. now it has a weird symbol. Same Mac, but the bottom keys and trackpad had to be fixed.

live in United States

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Those are the option and command icons that the wireless keyboards have here.
    Mine says that weird icon top right of the key and below it either option or command.
    The control has ^ above it.

3. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502

VertPin

its the same MacBook though, no idea why the symbols were changed? it used to say alt. Weird.

4. wiffle macrumors regular

You probably received a topcase replacement, with one that was released with the 2017 Macbooks.

5. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502

VertPin

I was told I got a something case replacement. What does that mean? I swear they said bottom case replacement?

6. wiffle, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

wiffle macrumors regular

Imagine your laptop (excluding the monitor) is split in half hamburger bun style. The top case (literally the top 'bun') includes the battery, trackpad and keyboard. The bottom case includes your logic board and some other components. (sorry was wrong about this, see posts below. Logic board is separate altogether.)

If you needed a trackpad replacement and bottom keys, they likely just replaced the entire top case as the parts all come together. In this case, they replaced your 2016 topcase with a 2017 topcase.

7. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

I have both a 2016 TB MBP and a 2017. The 2017's keyboard has symbols above both the control and option keys, but the 2016 does not.

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Actually the bottom case of the MBP is just a metal plate, there's no components on it.

9. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502

VertPin

weird, they gave me the 2017 keys than. one of a kind? xD

10. Fishrrman, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Do the keys work as intended?
    Does the new upper case fit properly?

If so, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Or, as another new recruit said back almost 50 years ago when I got drafted into the U.S. Army, "Don't sweat the small ****!"

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's the same key with a different symbol from the the 2017 model. Nothing to worry about as it works the same. As a guy who works with Windows at work it is a little confusing, though.