Got my MBPr: Tips for a long life span

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViennaXP, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ViennaXP macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    today I got my brand new MBPr 15" Early 2013. I know that Haswell will be released soon, but I needed the hardware now.
    Of course I don't want the hardware to die anytime soon, I can't spend 2100 Euros (I got a huge student discount) every year.
    Do you have some tips for me, to make the best of my MBPr and let it live a long life :p .
    I already know the basics: No high temperatures (above 70 °C) and to calibrate the battery every few months.
    More tips (especially for a long battery life)?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, is to use a stand such as mStand. The reason why it will help prolong your laptop is because it moves it up above the desk and i you spill anything you'll not damage the laptop.

As for usage tips, I'd not worry about it taking any special care, even with the temps. Mine rarely goes above 70c but I don't change my habits to cause that the heat to spike. The computer is designed to run, in such conditions and so I wouldn't lose any sleep.

3. 1stKnight macrumors newbie

I've just replaced my 2008 MBP today and that has served me well for over 4 years - used everyday, usually on for 8-10 hours a day with no special care.

It has zero marks on it and looks as new! It is just too slow now and finally developing heating issues that cause it to crash; abused by me asking too much of it lately.

So I'd say these machines are pretty robust! I've had Toshiba, Alienware, Acer and Sony laptops look pretty shabby and suffer dead screens and other failed components inside 2 years.

My MBP has been the best laptop I've ever owned. :apple:

4. ViennaXP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers.
    I got another question: In how far do the scaled resolutions impact on the performance of my pro?
    I already searched a bit on google and found different articles and every article states something different. I would like to use the 1680x1050 scaled resolution, for a bit more space, while I do 3D Design and After Effects work.

5. leman macrumors 604

Clean electricity and treat it reasonably (don't spill water on it, don't drop it, stuff like that). Everything else is just luck. Heat is of far less concern that some people will let you believe. Even if we assume that excessive heat will decrease the expected life span by 2/3, we are still looking at 6 or so years. Actually, I would recommend you to stress your machine early and stress it a lot. This way you can test it for latent defects. If it burns, better if that happens under warranty ;)

6. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

If docked, use a wireless keyboard and mouse. This will reduce the wear and tear on the touchpad and keyboard. Also realize the MBP touchpad and keyboard will last for years before it wears out. The less a mechanical device moves the longer it will last. Keep Dry and avoid sudden impacts with the ground.
    bottom line is just enjoy and just use it.

7. yliu macrumors regular

Get a protective case for carrying around. But don't get cases that actually snap onto the laptop and act as a shell. They just cause the laptop to heat up!

The macbook should not overheat under any amount of CPU and GPU load if used correctly. You may use a stand to allow more airflow under your laptop.

8. psik macrumors 6502

I have a 7 year old white macbook I am still using (the original/first one that came out) the only thing that have failed are the bluetooth module and airport card which only function properly 50-70% of the time....or may its a software issue who knows..
    also I believe that because my macbook is old it gets hot and casuses my battery to expand preventing me from using my trackpad properly..so anyways yes

1) dont leave your laptop on non-breathable surfaces like your bed - any extreme heat caused by your laptop's ventilation being blocked will reduce the life of ur laptop
    2) for me the experience is leave some space on your hard drive..i one thought it was dead...i ran so many hard drive diagnostics the thing just would not start...then I had to (i don't even remember how) remove space by using Terminal outside the OS - as soon as I removed space and let the hard drive breath it came back to life....
    3) also yes STRESS it early on - use the bluetooth module and everything else to the max so you can see if there are any defects

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, temperatures above 70°C are normal and safe when the system is under heavy load. Your Mac will automatically shut down to prevent damage if it ever truly overheats, which is extremely rare.

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

10. Vanilla35, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Just because it is still cool enough to operate at 95°C doesn't mean it's not going to harm the computer...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No user is going to run their Mac at 95°C all the time. Reaching temps like that during intensive operations will certainly not harm the computer at all. That's what it's designed to do. There certainly is a lot of FUD around about temperatures on Macs. Most of it is complete nonsense. The vast majority of Mac users will never have a temperature-related failure on any Mac model, and most will trade in their Macs years before any such failure can occur.

12. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Don't open the box.

Kidding aside. I would follow the suggestions given so far. Just use common sense and you will be fine. Purchase Apple Care if needed within the first year to have that extra peace of mind. I would recommend just enjoying your new machine and not worry so much about "wear and tear".

13. wmage macrumors member

Agree with this.

I had a MacBook Air last year, and I spent couple of hours playing WoW, in the summer, in a room without a/c. Suddenly it turns off and I can smell something burnt.

If I were careful back then, who knows when would it happen, and if it wouldn't be outside of warranty.

So do a little stress test like that. :)

14. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

I'm not talking about a sudden failure. As you stated, and we all know, the temps can go as high as 105 before a "safe" shutdown would occur. But you damage your computer by having high temperatures, even if it's just for a short period of time. If you trade in your computer every 2 years then it's not a problem. But if you want your computer to last a while, and not slow down substantially, then it is significant.

15. robvas macrumors 68020

Keep it in a case so it doesn't get damaged

Don't stick it in a backpack with 30lbs of books

Don't spill beer or food onto it

Don't drop it!

16. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

Put it in the bank vault (don't forget to turn it off). Will be safe!

17. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Got my MBPr: Tips for a long life span

Is this true? Because I have a Speck case on my Retina MacBook Pro and it heats up a bit when using it for a long time, could this really be because of the case? I've always used Speck cases on my MacBooks.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like many Mac users, including many in this forum, I've been running the same MBP for over 5 years, reaching 100C+ on occasions when the workload is sufficient. There are absolutely no heat-related problems of any kind. You don't have to trade up every 2 years to avoid heat problems. Most users will be fine for 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 years or more.

19. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

It will be fine. I have used one for years and never noticed it heating up more than usual.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm impressed that you keep trying after all these years and am still amazed that people somehow think their computer will explode if it goes above 75.

21. Zanaros macrumors newbie

Zanaros

Macbook Temperature

I've been gaming on my 13" 2012 Macbook Pro for almost a year now, it reaches temperatures up to 103c and I've noticed no problems at all. The only thing that's likely to burn are your legs, haha.

22. theineffablebob macrumors regular

Dust off your keyboard and palm rest and trackpad before closing your lid. The space between the keyboard and screen is so little than small debris can end up scratching your screen when you close it.

23. ViennaXP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies :D
    I am already enjoying my rMBP :apple:

24. eco7077 macrumors newbie

25. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan