Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Got the new iMac .... stuck the Drop-In Leopard DVD in the drive and ........ NOTHING!!! .... The DVD didn't show up on the desktop and I couldn't eject it :(

Call Apple Support and they had me do a few things to try to eject it (Restart holding the mouse button, restart holding the "C" key) but nothing worked so I had to put it right back in the box and send it in for repair :(

:):apple:

ttt0610.jpg

"Westu hál. Ferðu, Macintosh Hard Drive, Ferðu."

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Would putting it in backwards prevent the drive from ejecting it properly? Is this a known issue? I'm not about to try it to find out.

No that's not the way it works. When a disc is inserted that is unreadable the Mac will spit the disc out by itself within a few seconds (maybe even up to a minute or two).

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Why didn't they just DOA it for you? You shouldn't have to send a brand new defective unit in for repair...

Agreed.. I would not stand for a repair when I only just bought the thing. I'd want it exchanged there and then. You are entitled to that.

RustyMac

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Get a new one! Don't settle for a repair! Or return it and get your money back and wait for January!

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Get a new one! Don't settle for a repair! Or return it and get your money back and wait for January!

What would waiting for January do for someone in the market for an iMac? The odds of any iMac changes at Macworld are next to nil.

If I had an otherwise excellent iMac with a good screen and no dead pixels I'm not sure I'd want to roll the dice with a full replacement when a disc got stuck. I might let them fix/replace the drive.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Nope ... hey said that they would only DOA the computer if it wouldn't even turn on. Otherwise they would attempt one repair and if that didn't work then they would DOA it and ship a new one :(

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
Great news

Makes me want to rush out and buy a new iMac...not.
I waited for the new iMac from the new alum design thru the Leopard and I'm still not ready to buy one yet. Way too many issues.
I could have bought a cheap functional PC and been having fun destroying it.
Instead I sit here waiting for Apple to unF-k their program and put out decent equipment that isn't like a roll of the dice.
I already took back an iMac after having issues the day I bought it. I demanded a full refund and got it.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Makes me want to rush out and buy a new iMac...not.
I waited for the new iMac from the new alum design thru the Leopard and I'm still not ready to buy one yet. Way too many issues.
I could have bought a cheap functional PC and been having fun destroying it.
Instead I sit here waiting for Apple to unF-k their program and put out decent equipment that isn't like a roll of the dice.
I already took back an iMac after having issues the day I bought it. I demanded a full refund and got it.

Nah, don't wait! Go out and get yourself a nice new Dell and enjoy some high quality computing for once. You don't need to mess with Apple's inferior crap anymore. Life's too short. You deserve a nice new Dell loaded with Windows Vista. Treat yourself for the holidays. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Found out yesterday that it wasn't the optical drive (i.e. DVD) after all. They replaced the drive and nothing changed. It turns out to be the optical drive cable. They replaced the cable and put it back together and I should get it, FINALLY, on Friday.
:cool:

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
That's freakin' ridiculous. A machine with a fault on arrival should be straight out replaced, wouldn't accept any less than that. Customer service must be a bit different here in the UK

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'd have refused the repair as it's a DOA.
Hope it works when you get it back though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.