Got my new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billmister, Feb 5, 2008.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

hello everyone!. well here's what happend.

I was a verizon wirless customer for over 5 years, and i've been nothing but happy with them. The signal is always strong and the only 2 things i didn't really like about them is, 1) they get the new hot phones 1 year later, 2)when i used to change my plan they used to have to extend my 2 year contract.

Well with all this talk on the iphone i was really interested but scared about At&t service. I'm used to verizon, i KNOW they have good signal so i didn't want to be like people i see having to walk outside to take or make a call. Or get a voicemail ring when their phone never ringed.

Well me and my Fiance have thought about it for long enough, we both decided to get it and if the signal was bad we would return it within 14 days and only pay the 10% restocking fee.

WELL, we went and got it. Total it came out to $426. We both went home and connected it to our macs (iMac for me, and black book for her). Well after the update and all, the phone was activated as our family plan.

Let me tell you. I TOTALLY underestimated AT&T. I have VERY VERY STRONG signal everywhere i go. With my verizon i did as well, BUT in my room i would have 1 or 2 bars, but that would be enough to hear and talk good and sometimes i would get dropped calls. SOMETIMES bur rarely.

Well, with the at&t, i have FULL bars on one side of my room and 3-4 bars on the other. That was great! EVERYWHERE i go i don't see less than 4 bars!!! anywhere!.. I always see 5 bars, and RARELY see 4 bars or really never 3 bars. I live in the state of New Jersey in essex county.

Now i connected it to my wi-fi at home and the speed is awsome. And i don't know about other memebers but when it's on EDGE connection and i have to see somethign online, it doesn't take longer than my T1 connection here on the PC at work. Pages load average, 5 seconds or less.

The sound is great and so far, no dropped calls. Also My battery is long lasting. I took it out of the box and started using it. Charged it for 1 hour after it. Then haven't charged it for 1 day in a half when my battery reached half empty i rechared it again for about 40 minutes when it was full, then i waited ten more minutes and removed it and kept it sleep like i usually do. Mind you, when i just got it, I was on youtube, internet, phone calls, contacts.. well pretty much setting up my preferences.

I have no need to jailbreak my iphone, i will keep it as is. I purchased a ringtone from one of the songs purchased from itunes and it works great. I'm really happy with my iphone and more after the update.

I'm really happy with at&t and going strong! I can't be happier. I have to go check my email now on my iphone since my work computer doens't let me check gmail.

Well that's my write up.. Oh and my finace loves it as much as I do. Please feel free to ask any question.

PS- the only thing i purchased for my iphone to protect it is a black "AGENT 18" protector and a ... i forget the name but it's like a plastic that covers the screen and protects from scratches and ati fingerprince or something. The apple store recommend it to me, and it is awsome. Looks like nothing is on top of my screen and no fingerprince and responds great!

2. rayward macrumors 65816

Anyone else want to break the bad news about the 16 gig model?

3. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

wow, where do you live? My AT&T connection sucks and the edge network is slower then dial up most of the time. I struggle through because I still love my iPhone though! I don't even have a signal right now while I sit in my office. I am in southern AZ.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Congrats, billmister.

Now go return it and get the 16 gig iPhone that came out TODAY.

5. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Ouch. Thats a bummer. On the bright side, maybe the SDK programs will be available sooner.

6. rayward macrumors 65816

Arrgh! You've just added another reason why I now think that the extra capacity is necessary.

7. iwood macrumors newbie

so is there any difference in the 16g and the 8g besides capacity?

8. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

LOl actually after i finished writting this thread i went to the iphone thread and it said, "so now that there is a 16gig iphone...".... i looked at it and thought, WTF?!?!?!!? I am still within my 14 days return with 10% restocking fee.. But i mean.. I have 3 gigs of music and 2 gigs of picture on my iphone. I have 3 gigs left iphone, and to tell you the truth there really insn't any need to have the 2 gigs of photos on there (i have it just in case) I mean that's only have 3 4 out of my 8 albums on my iphone. The other albums are things that i don't want people to see unless they are really my friends. so since i never had the need to show people my pics when they were on my 30 gig ipod i doubt there will be a reason for me to do it with my iphone. So if anything i'll just remove them and be left with 5 gig free for music. BTW i have no movies on my ipod. I don't watch movies on there. Only once on my ipod but then after i watched i removed from my ipod because i don't really re-watch movies over and over unless it's like scarface or batman something like that. I think i'll be ok with my 8 gig.. I'm happy because of the service. :D

I am in New Jersey, Essex county. Before i went to purchase it, I went to AT&t website to see the signal strength in my area and it said strong so i took that into consideration. If you have bad signal and Edge sucks what did you switch from?.. Because i think the iphone is not worth switching a service that overs great signal. I mean going from great to bad i wouldn't do for iphone... Going from great to good, i would. GOod luck with that.

LOL, yeah i thought about that. I told my finace just minutes ago, but i'm ok.. I'm satisfied with my purchase.... I figure the 16 gig will NOT be the last update or new iphone.. So why spend another $100 even though it's 8 gigs more, but then there will always be something better or different. So i'm happy with my iphone. In 2 years when my contracts end and i have more, they will most likely have another great cool looking technology phone, of which i would probably get, but then of course something hew will come out. lol that's technology and software/hardware companies. I'm happy with my iphone! :D

SDK, i'm sorry to i know i should search (i always do) but since you mentioned it in this thread would you mind telling me in sinmple quick terms, what that is. Maybe it will come out for iphone (sounds like a software upgrade)

9. knoxtown macrumors 6502

SDK - Software Development Kit .... was released by Apple for programmers to be able to write native applications for the iphone.

10. rayward macrumors 65816

Which will come in the form of files that take up disk space...

11. DanBUK macrumors regular

Congratulations! The phone is fantastic and you will love it. 16 is just a number.

You are right, there will always be updates - newer, bigger, faster etc. Enjoy what you have!

Technology is a great thing though isn't it? Thats a lot of capacity for such a small thing, crazy really.

12. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Yup

13. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i'm pretty sure that's the only difference i mean all it says is bigger on their web site. http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Hey under the top web apps. does anyone have aim?... http://www.apple.com/webapps/socialnetworking/aim.html
    Does this work using the internet and does anyone recommend it? to chat with other iphone members or ichat(aim) users? i guess there is no buddy list.

I know i could just text but i'm debating where i should get the 1,500 text plan for 10... actually i think i might just do that.

14. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohh ok. So it's fro programmers to write native apps. I wouldn't have a need for that right?.. i mean i don't need additional apps on my iphone and i can't develope anything lol. Or is it something that you need to be able to install future apps?

Ohh ok. Hmmm i wonder if i could do without it. If it's a update hope it doesn't take up more than 2 gigs and if it's manditory or optional. Like i said if it's something for me to develope apps i would def do without it.

Thank you DanBUK, i'm really happy with everything on the iphone. And yes technology is great!.. I wonder what the new iphone of 2010 or 2011 will have. In the meanwhile i'm REALLY glad i went with this one.

15. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

I was already with AT&T before the iPhone. I had a blackberry. The crappy signal is worth it. I love the iPhone.

16. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

check out m.ebuddy.com

It is a great little web app for chatting. You can use gtalk, aim and yahoo i believe. I use it.

17. eswank macrumors 6502

Like some have suggested GO GET THE 16GB MODEL. I have the 8GB and I've had it since the price drop and so I'm content with it right now. I still have 3.6GB available and I can't complain. Since yours is still brand new return it, pay the retock fee, and get the 16GB.!

18. rayward macrumors 65816

It's so that software developers can write native apps to sell to you.

19. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Try this for AIM on your iphone: http://iphone.beejive.com

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

don't even worry about the 16 GB version. Nothing is changed except the capacity, and it's sounds like you don't need more. It's not like there are new features or even a price drop on the one you bought.

I too switched from Verizon, and for the same reasons as you. I was sick of their BS GUI on their old, crippled phones and the constant attempts to get me to sign up for 2 more years. But like you I was worried about losing the verizon coverage, which really is very good.

But I've found that AT&T has really good coverage as well. I get service everywhere my gf does on her verizon phone. The two exceptions are that AT&T doesn't work on the metro in DC (because verizon is the only company that paid to put cables down there) and AT&T doesn't work as well inside shielded buildings (but I do still get service).

All in all, I think it was a great switch, and I don't think I'd go back to verizon even if it weren't for the iphone. And as long as the iphone is AT&T only, there's no question I'll stay with them. :D

21. B.A. macrumors regular

Hey I saw your post in the thread I created- I also think the service in NJ (Hunterdon County, work in Mercer) has been excellent. I'm still w/in 14 days and considering the upgrade to 16GB because I have a lot of media, but just wanted to say hey to a fellow NJer and congrats on your phone.

22. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok i'll check that out. So since it's a web app it will not use my free 200 texts available. My internet at work blocks that page... wait... i have the IPHONE!.. i'll check it out now. Thanks!

I'll check this out as well. Thanks!

23. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I currently have AT&T and am not happy with the service. I drop calls all the time, my calls don't go through, I lose service. I don't know if it is the phone or the network. I live in Center City Philadelphia and one would think the service would be good. I really want an Iphone but I can't stand AT&T.

24. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

wow tried http://iphone.beejive.com, right now on my iphone it looks really good.. I added it to my home screen. So if i don't log off, and just go to main screen on my iphone, and someone IM's me, i will get it? Sorry i can't read info on it because at work sites like that are stopped

25. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

go to AT&T web site and check signal strength in your area. You could type in your zip or address and it will show you just how strong the signal is there in your area.. If it's bad, then it's not the iphone. GL