Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsaint9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I guess I got lucky. No strange sounds, I haven't even heard the fans come on. Not too hot (56C core temp). There are no defects, that I can find.

I was really worried after reading all the posts on this formum. I just wanted to give my two cents since there do not seem to be many posts about people getting Macbooks with no problems.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
mine didnt start to whine until a day after i got it....i dont mean to make you freak out...just warning you. i thought the same thing with BOTH of my macbooks....and now i have to go back to the apple store yet again to get another one.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
bsaint9 said:
I guess I got lucky. No strange sounds, I haven't even heard the fans come on. Not too hot (56C core temp). There are no defects, that I can find.

I was really worried after reading all the posts on this formum. I just wanted to give my two cents since there do not seem to be many posts about people getting Macbooks with no problems.

Too many people expect too much. You are more than likely not lucky, but slightly more 'forgiving'. :D

bsaint9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Good Points

Did you, by chance, install the Intel update (Macbook) from within Software Update? I've read that many speculate this to be the cause of the "whine". Just wondering as I have yet to install it and have no "whine"

bsaint9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
bill4588 said:
no i installed the update and that didnt do anything...yeah it sucks

so it was happening before the update or after?

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
ive had mine since yesterday and no problems while using it. temps are high 50's while idling and get up into the high 60's and low 70's when in use, but from what ive read, thats what most people are experiencing.

no mooing or whining... however, i left it on overnight to drain the battery and calibrate it and in the morning it was in a semi-sleep mode/shut down improperly and mooing for a minute or two when i plugged it in again. turning it on and off and putting into sleep mode and waking back up seems to act weird, have to use it more to see if its actually a problem

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
just making sure but you did make sure they removed the plastic in front of the hinge right?

bsaint9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I spoke too soon

Good God this whining is so annoying and loud! All was fine until I fully discharged the battery and plugged in the charger, as someone in this thread warned me would happen-- damn you :)

The transformer, of the charger, makes the most noise. It's almost like a sizzle/buzz/whine. It's rhythmic, loud, and oh so annoying. The Macbook itself makes a much smaller version of the same sound that the transformer is making; where the magsafe charger plugs in. Both are in sync and rhythmic. If I start turning things off (Bluetooth or Wifi) the sound gets even louder.

Is this what other people are noticing? Will it go away once the batter is more fully charged and it's not pulling so hard from the charger? I think I'm going to have to call Apple as this is just annoying. Has anyone called Apple about this yet? If so, what was the end result? Thanks and sorry for typing so much. At least there is no "Moo" sound. :)

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
bsaint9 said:
Good God this whining is so annoying and loud! All was fine until I fully discharged the battery and plugged in the charger, as someone in this thread warned me would happen-- damn you :)

The transformer, of the charger, makes the most noise. It's almost like a sizzle/buzz/whine. It's rhythmic, loud, and oh so annoying. The Macbook itself makes a much smaller version of the same sound that the transformer is making; where the magsafe charger plugs in. Both are in sync and rhythmic. If I start turning things off (Bluetooth or Wifi) the sound gets even louder.

Is this what other people are noticing? Will it go away once the batter is more fully charged and it's not pulling so hard from the charger? I think I'm going to have to call Apple as this is just annoying. Has anyone called Apple about this yet? If so, what was the end result? Thanks and sorry for typing so much. At least there is no "Moo" sound. :)
apple SHOULD be able to replace it for you. they replaced mine but i also had the moo and the case alignment was off. im getting another one in the morning because this one whines and the HDD is always spinning so its vibrating a little (but it's really annoying). just tell them that the whine is unbearable and just act a little pissy :p and you should get a new macbook ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.